araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:GIS/MAPSERVER/OSSIM/GDAL
  • United States

Hi all,
I am going to be charged with converting our arbitrary, ground(from our survey crew) coordinate system into a readily and standard coordinate system(CA State Plane ZN II us survey foot), for a project in Sacramento County. Now, no one really knows why, but when we got our topo and hi rez photos from our airphoto contractor, they didn't give it to us in a standard GCS(CA State Plane...). Either we messed up or they did, but I'm stuck with the conversion.

I am quite familiar with rotate/scale/affine transforms for photos( thanks to tips in this forum, and using Global Mapper!) and it looks like i got the photo lined up pretty well with my KNOWN street centerline file. (I would say within 2 or 3 ft. - not bad if you ask me )

My next problem though, is how would I go about getting the topo to translate. I made sure to make up a .csv file of the points that i used on the hi rez photo.
Is there a way I can do that? this is/has to be done in Autocad Map3d, but i will eventually export to 2d polylines for my 3d analyst movie.
any ideas/tips would be appreciated
R~
Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Raster is Faster, but Vector is Corrector.

gorillamap

gorillamap

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

In ArcMap you can load a known transformation (your .csv file from the aerial) in the georeferencing link table. Autodesk probably has a similar function...

Attached Files

Mike Pesses
Antelope Valley College
http://avconline.avc.edu/mpesses

araki5

araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:GIS/MAPSERVER/OSSIM/GDAL
  • United States

In ArcMap you can load a known transformation (your .csv file from the aerial) in the georeferencing link table. Autodesk probably has a similar function...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THIS WAS A REAL PAIN-IN-THE-@$$!!. Sorry i didn't mean to yell. i got something pretty useable, prolly within 2 or 3 ft, but wow, i don't think I've ever been so frustrated trying to get the transformation "just right".

I ended up doing it in Arcmap and then imported to Autocad. The arcmap spatial adjust worked pretty good, i ended up using 16 pts for the xform, and then the residuals got to about 1 or 2.

thx for the tip
Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Raster is Faster, but Vector is Corrector.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->