ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I'm curious to know how many cartotalk members are going to make it to the ESRI users conference August 7-11? Erin

Pete Y.

Pete Y.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • United States

I'm going to the UC (shameless plug coming). My map gallery entry is over in the Peer Review section. I'm also giving a paper presentation:

Paper #: 1242
Session Title: Smart techniques for a low-budget, high-performance wildfire GIS
Date: Thursday, August 10, 2006
Time: 9:15 AM - 9:45 AM
Room: Room 29 C
Abstract: "This paper describes the implementation of the Mission-Driven Wildland Fire Mapping Project at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, California. The project, a simple data-collection and analysis effort, is burdened by the restrictions imposed on field data collection at Camp Pendleton. These restrictions spurred the innovative use of GIS. In 2005 the project produced valuable fire data that can be used for environmental planning."

Please come check it out. I think it's been an interesting project.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

I'll be there, mostly working at the software showcase island for mapping and visualization, and also helping out with a technical workshop on cartographic effects. Please feel free to stop by and introduce yourselves. :D
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

I will be there. Haven't missed the conference since moving back to San Diego.

I'm going to the UC (shameless plug coming). My map gallery entry is over in the Peer Review section. I'm also giving a paper presentation:

Abstract: [i]"This paper describes the implementation of the Mission-Driven Wildland Fire Mapping Project at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, California.

Pete - don't let me forget that I want to come to this. Umm...considering that you're working on this project with some of the staff in my office, I had better show up, eh?
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Of course I will be there. :)

I will be there most of the week, in the ESRI Spatial Outlet (book store).

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

For those who are interested in the ESRI UC, we (Avenza) will be there as usual with a booth in the exhibition hall. We will be showing the NEW MAPublisher 7 as well as Geographic Imager and will be available for all kinds of consultation etc with current and prospective users.
If you are coming please drop by our booth.
Thanks
Ted

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I had to choose between NACIS and ESRI this year...

I'll see you in Madison!

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I'll be there as well. Look for the Platts booth and come by and say hello. Should be an informative and fun trip.

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

I had an excellent experience at User Conference this year!

Took in some great sessions as well as meeting alot of interesting people. Met alot of people new to GIS and were interested in learning alot more about it. Also met a few cartographers and let them know about CartoTalk. :)

Erin, I went by the Platts booth on Wednesday, but nobody was there in the late afternoon. Unfortunately I didn't have time to pass by again since I had to be at the ESRI Press and Map Station booth all day Thursday.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

What did you think of this year's Mapbook?

I heard that a map I made was on the cover.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

The conference was great! Actually, a map I entered into the gallery won a local award - Best Cartography. The locals here in San Diego, who put on the San Diego Host Booth, have all of us local cartographers / GIS technicians, put maps up for display in the booth (as well as the map gallery). I was quite honored to have been selected for Best Cartography. I'll try to post a digital edition in the next few days.

I'm not sure of the results of the overall map gallery, as the results have been posted. As nice as it was to be recognized by my local peers, there were some *outstanding* examples of cartography in the gallery this year, that I'm sure put my works to shame. There are some deserving individuals, and I'm anxious to see how those maps did.

On Thursday afternoon, the ESRI Cartography SIG met at lunch time. It was a very good meeting. Myself, and Paul from ESRI, and one or two others, mentioned Cartotalk a few times. Most people had not heard of it, and, along with ESRI's resources, we talked about what a great resource Cartotalk could be.

Someone in the room mentioned they were new to cartography and ArcGIS, and looking for someplace to get some constructive comments about their work. They were encouraged to post here. I hope we see some new members coming to the board (and contributing) because of the conference.

Also, there are a lot of pretty neat cartographic tricks and improvements coming for ArcGIS 9.2. I'm excited to give those a try.
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

I was at the conference all week, and made a presentation called "Creating Cartographic Products for the Western Oregon Plan Revisions using ArcGIS." Or something like that.

At the Carto SIG meeting the ESRI participants seemed quite interested in getting input on the direction they should be going with future releases of ArcGIS. I would encourage anybody with strong feelings on this to try to participate next year. I expect they'll send a contingent to NACIS too.

And yes Matt, your map was on the cover of the map book. In fact, the Portland State University Geography Department had a few representatives in the map book this year.
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->