ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I have an Illustrator CS2 symbol set of proportional circles and when I print (.ai or pdf) the smaller circular symbols come out looking like octagons rather than smooth circles. I've tried bumping up the raster effects resolution. I've also created several new circular symbols that are not apart of the symbol stylesheet as the rest (using MaPublisher) and the results are the same (octagons). I'm using the same print settings that I use on several other maps that contain similar symbols that print correctly. Has anyone else had this happen? Does anyone have any suggestions or insight as to what is going on? Could an unnknown corrupt element in the .ai file cause this to happen, i.e a corrupt graphic style or linked image?

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Illustrator used to have a print setting called "flatening" which reduced the level of detail in drawing curves and if you turned it all the way down you would get faster printing but with problems like you are describing.

I don't know if this even exists any longer, but it might be a clue.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Nick,
I increased the level of rasterization (Transparency Flattening) using the option under the Advanced Print menu and it worked like a charm. Thank you! You just saved me an afternoon of reworking a back-up copy...which would have ended up with the same problem. I owe you! Erin

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

You can buy me a beer at NACIS :)

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->