• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

EcoGraphic

EcoGraphic

Master Contributor

• Links Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:landscape architecture,cartography,information architecture,wayfinding,landscape archaeology,cultural landscapes,sustainable design,visual journalism,travel writing,photography,illustration,languages
  • Canada

A project by UC Berkeley is mapping all the dangerous beaches in the world. Beach Hazards include geology, surf, marine organisms and pollution. A bit disturbing:

Dangerous Beaches Maps
Gillian Auld
EcoGraphic Design
www.EcoGraphic.ca

Design is the intermediary between information and understanding
Richard Grefe

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

interesting project, especially as a multivariate mapping project. however, at least for the hawaiian islands, their data is so incomplete it is really irresponsible to publish a hazard map that really misleads people as to what the hazards are.

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

They have certainly highlighted problem areas but I have to agree with Rob about the lack of data. The California Coast as shown is missing a huge amount of info. A sad part of this is that the project is based at Cal Berkeley.
Rick Dey

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I think the effort is valid and states its assumptions and rules for classification up front.
As a water resource consultant in California, I agree with its 'water pollution' hazards primarily in the south coast where the cities and stormwater and wastewater treatment plants are. The central coast is largely without large urban areas, so other hazards might be spotty (sharks, currents, etc.).

Having traveled a little, I would add more hazards along the coastline of the Mediterranean, as there are many cities with direct untreated wastewater discharge to the sea, olive oil plants, and stormwater runoff - so lots of dirty water in the mild, shallow, surfzones - it can be nasty. Would suppose same for all urban/coast interfaces, including India, China...

I think the project could grow to be quite useful to the gen public.

It also does not appear that for each hazard indication there is a study(s) with well collected data where the user would 'drill down' to the reports etc. Again, their rules and assumptions are safe and would generally be supported in the literature.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->