Photo

Delorme Street Atlas? Other Street mapping SW?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Guitarman

Guitarman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Hi all, is this something that can be used to make city/county maps? I've been using illustrator and tiger lines(but really dont know how to use this info well). Im new to cartography, im enrolling in a bachelors program this fall, and to practice im looking for some good software to be able to create city/street maps.

Any software recommendation for a noob? Where is a good place to find good free data?

thanks all

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

As far as software goes, you should check out Manifold GIS. You need a GIS to process your data before you can get import it into Illustrator. Search the forum and you will find several useful threads discussing it's merits. Not only is it affordable (around $300), but it can do everything GIS you need it to...and more. It also exports directly to Ilustrator. There are also several free GIS systems available as well. Once again, search around the forum and you will find the links...

If you want to maintain your geographic attributes in Illustrator, you will need to pick up Mappublisher which is made by Avenza systems. It is also affordable and well worth the money.

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Any news on Mappublisher 7.0 When is it coming out?

Delorme has a map making GIS package based on the Tiger data. I don't know if it's any good. The Topo USA is not bad for the price if you need basic mapping software with GPS when traveling.

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Hi all, is this something that can be used to make city/county maps?  I've been using illustrator and tiger lines(but really dont know how to use this info well).  Im new to cartography, im enrolling in a bachelors program this fall, and to practice im looking for some good software to be able to create city/street maps. 

Any software recommendation for a noob?  Where is a good place to find good free data? 

thanks all

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you intending to major in cartography? geography? environmental science? Just curious.

You will probably want to find as many free resources as you can right now in your beginning/exploration. ESRI offers a free tool called ArcExplorer that will let you open and display .SHP files ("shapefiles") which a lot of geographic data is available in. It may have a few other features.

A super cheap way to get into ArcGIS is to purchase the following:
http://www.amazon.co...glance&n=283155
Getting to Know ESRI ArcGIS, for $60.. wow, discounted to under $40! I paid $60. It comes with a fully operational version of ArcGIS 9, and a 180-day evaluation license. That's 1/2 a year for $40, vs. the traditional price of $1500 for commercial, $1000 for academic, and $500 for IMTA members. It's well worth the investment.

If you are looking for free GIS resources, simply google "free gis". There are at least three websites with "free" and "gis" in their address, and they link to many free resources and datasets!

Guitarman

Guitarman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

As far as software goes, you should check out Manifold GIS. You need a GIS  to process your data before you can get import it into Illustrator. Search the forum and you will find several useful threads discussing it's merits. Not only is it affordable (around $300), but it can do everything GIS you need it to...and more. It also exports directly to Ilustrator. There are also several free GIS systems available as well. Once again, search around the forum and you will find the links...

If you want to maintain your geographic attributes in Illustrator, you will need to pick up Mappublisher which is made by Avenza systems. It is also affordable and well worth the money.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the mapublisher plugin and I can get the tiger data up and the roads, waterways, etc. but dont know how to take those street names and apply them to the map.

Does manifold offer a trial at all? thanks for the help everyone

Guitarman

Guitarman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Are you intending to major in cartography? geography? environmental science? Just curious.

You will probably want to find as many free resources as you can right now in your beginning/exploration. ESRI offers a free tool called ArcExplorer that will let you open and display .SHP files ("shapefiles") which a lot of geographic data is available in. It may have a few other features.

A super cheap way to get into ArcGIS is to purchase the following:
http://www.amazon.co...glance&n=283155
Getting to Know ESRI ArcGIS, for $60.. wow, discounted to under $40! I paid $60. It comes with a fully operational version of ArcGIS 9, and a 180-day evaluation license. That's 1/2 a year for $40, vs. the traditional price of $1500 for commercial, $1000 for academic, and $500 for IMTA members. It's well worth the investment.

If you are looking for free GIS resources, simply google "free gis". There are at least three websites with "free" and "gis" in their address, and they link to many free resources and datasets!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im going for Geospatial Science .... it covers a lot more than just cartography supposedly. anywho, thanks for the links.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Any news on Mappublisher 7.0  When is it coming out?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

'soon' :D

I'm not really in a position to give out any details on this, so I'll have to keep it at this. It'll be well worth the wait though.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

I was on the fance about buying it , but then I saw 7.0 news somewhere and decided to wait. I hope the labeling is improved. I'm tired of moving every road name in AI from manifold output.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • United States

Guitarman,
You can create street lables by creating a new layer in Illustrator (assuming you have already brought in the Tiger data)...call it "street names" or whatever. After you create the new layer, open up the "Map views" palette (Windows - Mappublisher Palettes - Map views). You will see your "street names" layer listed in the "non-map layers' area. Drag the layer up and into the Map view. As soon as you drop the layer in the Map View area, a box will pop-up and prompt you to specify the type of feature you want to create. Choose "Text'.

Select the entire roads layer and then go to "Filter" in the main Illustrator menu, choose "Map legend" and then "Feature Text Label". Specify the correct attribute field...the one that contains the street names and your done. Once the streets are created you can change the font, color, et cetera.

If you don't have the Mapublisher tutorial and user guide you can download it here.

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Do the labels act as a text you can edit or are they broken up into individual letters like it was in the previous Mapublishers?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Do the labels act as a text you can edit or are they broken up into individual letters like it was in the previous Mapublishers?

As far as I can remember, this was never the case in MAPublisher.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • United States

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The labels come in as fully-editable Illustrator text. The only time I've had text come in as individual letters is when you export an Illustrator file from ArcMap. Perhaps this is what you were thinking of?

Guitarman

Guitarman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Guitarman,
You can create street lables by creating a new layer in Illustrator (assuming you have already brought in the Tiger data)...call it "street names" or whatever. After you create the new layer, open up the "Map views" palette (Windows - Mappublisher Palettes - Map views). You will see your "street names" layer listed in the "non-map layers' area. Drag the layer up and into the Map view. As soon as you drop the layer in the Map View area, a box will pop-up and prompt you to specify the type of feature you want to create. Choose "Text'.

Select the entire roads layer and then go to "Filter" in the main Illustrator menu, choose "Map legend" and then "Feature Text Label". Specify the correct attribute field...the one that contains the street names and your done. Once the streets are created you can change the font, color, et cetera.

If you don't have the Mapublisher tutorial and user guide you can download it here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Erin, it appears as it the street names made duplicates of themselves... like every inch of so there is the same street name along the street taking up too much room. Is there a way to make it so that you just have say... farm rd 148 only once along the road instead of say 8 times?

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

Erin, it appears as it the street names made duplicates of themselves... like every inch of so there is the same street name along the street taking up too much room.  Is there a way to make it so that you just have say... farm rd 148 only once along the road instead of say 8 times?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The best way around that is to concatenate the street vectors before labelling. That means joining vector segements with the same attributes into one line rather than endless small lines.
I believe Mapublisher has a way to do this but others will need to confirm this. You can also do this in a GIS and then re-split the line (if necessary) at a desirable length for labelling purposes.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • United States

I would follow martin's advice and concatenate the lines and then recreate your labels.

You can use the Simplify Lines function in Mappublisher to help remedy the problem.
Filter > Maplines> Simplify lines...
This is not the same thing as concatenate but it will reduce the number of nodes. There is a concatenate plug-in...but you will have to search the forum for it. I can't remember the URL.

There is a tutorial on how to do this (Simplify lines) in the Tutorials PDF...exercise 11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->