Photo

Delorme Street Atlas? Other Street mapping SW?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Rick Johnson has the concatenate plug-in but I am not sure if mapublisher attributes remain intact after you run it.

http://rj-graffix.co...re/plugins.html

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I assume that you can also have two duplicates of the street layer - one that is just used for labeling (then you can hide the vectors) and one for map presentation (no labels, these might be split up)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I assume that you can also have two duplicates of the street layer - one that is just used for labeling (then you can hide the vectors) and one for map presentation (no labels, these might be split up)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A very good point and something I always recommend, especially in Europe where you often have to be very creative with abbreviations, leader lines or numbers when doing the centre of an older city. Or 70s/80s parts of towns when the urban planners thought it was cool to make all these little windy streets with very long names.

By having one invisible layer with unabbreviated texts, you are certain not to have to worry about that in your index. Then you have a second layer, which is visible, where you pull out all the cartographic tricks to make it nice and readable.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Rick Johnson has the concatenate plug-in but I am not sure if mapublisher attributes remain intact after you run it.

http://rj-graffix.co...re/plugins.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Using Concatenate will apply the attributes of the topmost entity to the concatenated segment. Similar to the idea of having a second type layer, we find that duplicating the line layer and doing concatenate and any other modifications to the duplicated layer keeps the original layer with all attributes intact. (Duplicate the layer through MAPublisher to retain all attributes)
The tagger tool is also a useful one if you really don't want to go through connecting all those segments, however you can't get your type to follow paths with that. Great for grid pattern cities though.
Rick Dey

Guitarman

Guitarman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Ok, I can create the street names using the annotation tool but that takes a very long time. I selected all lines and went to simplify and then created a text layer and did the "Map Legend>Feature Text Label" and then gave it the source, which in this case, is the "FENAME" within the street layer and then it takes a very long time and once its finished there is street text everywhere. Im still not doing something right since I get multiples of each street name. Any suggestions, thanks

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Actually, that's pretty normal. If every stretch of road from one intersection to the next is a separate line, you'll get loads of names.

There's three ways to work with this:
- Use the Map Label tool instead of the Feature Text Label, downside is you'll spend a lot of time on this...
- Remove all the unwanted texts, takes a lot of time too...
- Use special labelling software (Maplex, Label-EZ), but they're expensive...

Concatenating the lines before labelling them (there is a MAPublisher option to do this by the way, which retains the attributes) is a good step to take, but then you often find you have to add some more labels manually.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cartography :D In many cases, labelling takes up a large part of the time spent working on a map.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

In many cases, labelling takes up a large part of the time spent working on a map.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guitarman,
Hans is right. Labeling always takes a lot time to complete and there is no way around it if you want to finish your maps in Illustrator. Consider also the role labeling plays in the overal design of the map. Labeling shouldn't be viewed as a menial task that should be automated so the map designer can move on to more important aspects of the design. It's a serious design issue that takes a lot of patience to learn and get right.

When I have a week or two of labeling ahead of me, I take it as an opportunity to learn more about fonts, map scale and printing, working with text in Illustrator, using the various pen tools for creating call-out leaders, utilizing space etc. Spend a few weeks doing nothing but lableing for eight hours a day and you will be amazed at how much you learn and how much you didn't know about cartographic design.

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Using the MAPublisher Join Lines filter will result in only one attribute being saved for the joined lines. It filters based on one selected field and only that is applied to the joined segment. The good news is that the newly joined segments are created on a new layer and there is no destruction to the original data so you can go back to that layer to possibly get address ranges, road classifications, prefixes, or suffixes that are lost in the join process.

Regarding the comments of time, our experience is that a very dense street map in the 24 x 36 inch range will take about 8 to 12 months to create, fully one quarter of that time (if not more) will be spent laying down type. Erin is right though in saying that taking the time to do it right is what makes the difference between a quality map that is readable and esthetically pleasing and one that kind of works and hurts to look at. :blink:
Rick Dey

Guitarman

Guitarman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Thanks guys. As I said, im learning so sorry to bother with these questions. I didnt know if I was doing something wrong because it did take a long time to do an entire county. One good thing about all this ripping my hair out is that when I do begin these courses I'll be one step ahead.

Thanks guys again and always, its appreciated.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
    Topographic Mapping
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if anyone that teaches you knows much about cartographic labelling and cares at all about label legibility. you still haven't told us where you are going to school in the fall... As Erin said, it is the kind of thing that takes time and practice to learn well. The kind of thing that is very difficult to teach in a classroom setting. Positioning Names on Maps by Eduard Imhof is the classic english language paper on the subject.

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Here is a the map I'm working on. First image shows what I get out of Manifold, second shows the final map in Illustrator and the third shows the entire map with a small box showing the section shown in the first two images. All labels were moved manually which took more than 150 hours of work and I still have 25% to go. Some labels are just moved, others are rotated to the geometry, some are placed on splines to fallow the roads, streams. Hopefully, when the Mapublisher 7.0 comes out, I wont have spend that much time just doing road names. The Manifold can place labels on the roads, but the come into Illustrator as individual letters and can no longer be modified. On top of that 10% of them will be unreadable out of Manifold on curvy roads and most will overlap. I think ArcGis has the same problem with AI export.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
    Topographic Mapping
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Orienteering
  • United States

I think ArcGis has the same problem with AI export.

Arcmap's labelling engine has limitations but even without the Maplex extension it is much better than Manifold's. It exports entire text strings rather than individual letters and can handle text rotated 90 degrees (i.e. grid coordinates) which Manifold insists on rasterizing.

mg

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

I think ArcGis has the same problem with AI export.

Arcmap's labelling engine has limitations but even without the Maplex extension it is much better than Manifold's. It exports entire text strings rather than individual letters and can handle text rotated 90 degrees (i.e. grid coordinates) which Manifold insists on rasterizing.

mg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Martin.

Are you sure Arcmap export to AI does not break the text into indivdual letters. I was told by many people that it has the same limitation as Manifold when it comes to text. I have 60 day ArcView 9.1 with Maplex, but didn't even bother with it knowing, I wont be able to use the text in Illustrator.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
    Topographic Mapping
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Orienteering
  • United States

I'm certainly not having that problem. Just finished two maps over the last week that were exported from 9.1 and didn't run nto that problem once.

mg

mrishi

mrishi

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States
You can also look at Label-EZ, it will take in your shape data and create a fully symbolized map with automatically placed labels (along splines) which are not broken into characters. The output can be directed to Adobe Illustrator and you can achieve the same results that you are currently getting by spending 150hrs of manual effort. It even does the automatic leader line placement which I see from the image will be useful for you.

Rishi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->