Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Can anyone provide advice for ranking a large hydrology dataset.

I've got a stream shapefile created by digitizing some USGS topo maps as well as a DEM. I know I could class them based on elevation fairly easily but this seems too simplistic.

I'm trying to rank them so that I can easily assign line weights based on stream order.

Thanks,

mg

jsanz

jsanz

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Spain

Can anyone provide advice for ranking a large hydrology dataset.

I've got a stream shapefile created by digitizing some USGS topo maps as well as a DEM. I know I could class them based on elevation fairly easily but this seems too simplistic.

I'm trying to rank them so that I can easily assign line weights based on stream order.

Thanks,

mg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it depends on your available software. So, GRASS has modules to categorize streams according to the Strahler categories but if you are on a Windows$ environment maybe you'll find TauDEM usefull but a little bit difficult to work out.

http://hydrology.neng.usu.edu/taudem/

TauDEM works with ArcGIS and MapWindow (this last is free as freedom).

Sorry by my horrible English

BR
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
Cartography Engineer
GIS developer
Prodevelop, Valencia, Spain

Polaris

Polaris

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Making maps and data graphics!<br />Paddling<br />Hiking<br />Gardening<br />Natural Philosophy<br />Loved Ones
  • United States

Martin -

I've used Strahler andShreve stream ordering in the past, but lately have done this with good (better) results using flow accumulation. There are some ArcView scripts available that make this fairly straightforward. I'm out of the office for the next few days, but could give you more details early next week if you like.

Eric

burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

Martin

In Arc 9.0 there is a tool called Stream Order located in Spatial Analyst/hydrology. You need to ctreate a thresholded Flow Accumulation grid and Flow Direction grid as inputs. It will create a classified grid of stream orders. I think you could then intersect them with your hydrology vector dataset (Attribute Transfer). That brings up a question for me as to how do you create the tapered effect in photoshop automatically?

Good Luck
Bruce

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

Fairly easily, you need to select the lowest order...i.e. the end of the small streams, and split the line from the end about 50' add an attribute so you can symbolize the end pieces differently using a different stroke weight and color for example. In illustrator after export you select all these segments and apply the tapered brush to symbolize them. There is probably a way in the GIS to make sure the line direction is correct for the brush as well and if it isnt to reverse the direction, although I'm not sure what it is.

mg

pghardy

pghardy

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • United Kingdom

... That brings up a question for me as to how do you create the tapered effect in photoshop automatically?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For those using ArcEditor or ArcInfo, the new cartographic representations capabilities coming in 9.2 have a framework for 'geometric effects' which can do this sort of thing on the fly. We gave a paper at Auto-Carto2006 last week, which covered using the geometric effects mechanism (with sample user-written effects) to dynamically convert crude linear GIS streams to naturally curved and tapered streams at draw time.

See attachments Attached File  streamsA.gif   4.21KB   114 downloads and Attached File  streamsB.gif   4.23KB   116 downloads for before and after shots.

I don't think the paper is yet available on the web, but when it is, I'll post a link to it.
--
Paul Hardy
ESRI Europe (phardy@esri.com)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->