Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Anyone hanging out here have experience outputing complex files setup in Indesign (multiple placed EPSs, and images). I am having some difficulty outputting PDFs from InDesign and would appreciate some advice.

mg

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I completed a project with a very large complex (>12MB) Illustrator map placed in an InDesign file which contained a map index and lots of placed ads. I did have few difficulties in the end but I managed to get it to work.

I'd be glad to help if I can. Post here or email me if it's easier.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Orienteering
  • United States

I'm having a hard time getting ID to spit out a Press quality PDF or even an EPS that I can RIP with Distiller. This is a 2 sided 28 x 20 document. Each side has a a placed EPS generated in Illustrator 10. The EPS contains an embeded CMYK TIFF with linework, some of which overprints. Its difficult to describe so I'll direct you to a link of a ratserized low res preview for my editor to proof read the text. It is likely that I will have to rasterize parts of this to make it work...

Side 1
side 2

You can see on side 2 where the overprints are not being output correctly (white halo around text elements).

Anyways, any insight on how to set this up to output will be appreciated.

mg

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Have you tried placing the AI file directly into ID, instead of making it an EPS?

I have found better compatibility with effects that way.

Are you overprinting the ink, or using transparency in AI?

Nick Springer

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
    Topographic Mapping
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Orienteering
  • United States

I have tried placing he ai file. However because earlier on I had problems saving with the PDF option checked I was no longer able to place the file in ID. I should try resaving the document with this PDF option checked .

There is overprinting (which I think is handled the same way as transparency) and one small bit of transparency that has been rasterized.

I've now come up with a workflow that will have me rasterize all the overprinting stuff in Photoshop and add it to my TIFF background (we've discussed this approach before). I hate rasterizing vectors when I should not have to, but this thing also needs to get printed in a couple of weeks and I need to figure out if the printer will be able to handle these files.

mg

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • United States

It's so hard to troubleshoot things without doing it hands-on. It sounds like you have some kind of solution, even if it's not optimal.

I'll try and play around with a simple file that tries to reproduce your conditions and see if I come up with anything else.

Nick Springer

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

It's been our experience that to have any consistency in producing film output from InDesign all placed images have needed to be AI EPS v8. We use AI 10 with PDF compatibility while working on the InDesign file and then at the end do a final replace with the EPS. Although there have been cases where everything worked well, more often than not overprints worked like InDesign wanted them to, not like what we had defined in the original AI file. These are typically large pages 20 x 28 to 25 x 37 (inches) with 1 to 4 placed AI files some with embedded TIFFs for relief.

As has been noted elsewhere as cartographers we use such a small amount of the features of these graphic programs, but those features we do use weren't ever meant to be used as heavily as we do.

Rick
Rick Dey

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
    Topographic Mapping
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Orienteering
  • United States

.  We use AI 10 with PDF compatibility while working on the InDesign file and then at the end do a final replace with the EPS.  Although there have been cases where everything worked well, more often than not overprints worked like InDesign wanted them to, not like what we had defined in the original AI file.

Rick.

What file format are you providing to your printer, are you delivering the ID files or exporting to PDF or EPS? Who is doing the file swapping and at which stage.
What kind of overprinting chages have you seen?

mg

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Martin,

When working with an InDesignCS file we "package" the native .indd file with any Illustrator files in AI EPS 8. We send the entire package folder to the service bureau.

When sending a full map side that is Illustrator only we send an AI EPS 8 file only (the service bureau has our fonts on file).

As far as the swapping of the files from working version AI 10 to EPS we do that just prior to the final package, or printing of separations on our DesignJet to check for overprint issues.

The kinds of problems we have typically seen show up as changes in the overprinting when we don't use EPS or when we get someone not paying attention at the service bureau. Typically they consist of type knocking out fills (we almost always set all type to overprint) or anything that we set to overprint.

Now the possibility could be in the output process that the bureau is using, old versions of software or even hardware, Ican't address that part of the issue at all.

Rick
Rick Dey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->