Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Trying to work with large placed TIFF files in CS2. The software will not open previous files and gives "Not enough Memory" errors. It will also not allow me to place large TIFF files that it did not have problems with in the past.

This is with the new machine with lots of RAM (4GB) and scratch disk space. I am curious as to what the problem might be. There is typically nothing else running at the same time so illy has full system resources.

Problem seems to occur mostly if I try to link to these files rather than embedding them.
I am reluctant to embed large rasters usually...

Anyone else running into this problem or have any insight.

mg

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I've ran into this problem as well...
Have you added any effects or filters to the image? Blur on the edges? Outer glows et cetera?

1) There's always the option of testing a linked .jpg if you can get away with some data loss.

2) Embed the TIFF first and then relink the image.

3) You could also test linking to a Photoshop .psd.

Are you using Illy Symbols at all? I've noticed that Symbols have a tendency to eat up RAM and really bog down my machine....especially symbols that are not being used.

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

The previous files that won't open with a "Not Enough Memory" error may be corrupted. Illustrator throws this error for all kinds of issues. I had a few files with this error recently and by repeatedly double clicking the document icon with Illustrator open it would open about 1 out of every 20 times. I deleted some extra layers of "just in case" data and linked to native PSD files and resaved them with a diffrent name.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

merft

merft

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • United States

Trying to work with large placed TIFF files in CS2. The software will not open previous files and gives "Not enough Memory" errors. It will also not allow me to place large TIFF files that it did not have problems with in the past.

This is with the new machine with lots of RAM (4GB) and scratch disk space. I am curious as to what the problem might be. There is typically nothing else running  at the same time so illy has full system resources.

Problem seems to occur mostly if I try to link to these files rather than embedding them.
I am reluctant to embed large rasters usually...

Anyone else running into this problem or have any insight.

Regardless of whether you link or embed raster if you don't uncheck "Create PDF compatible file" the image WILL embed. A dialog pops up the first time you create an Illustrator document. Make sure you uncheck that box. With that setting off and linking rather than embedding files, I can manage huge rasters in Illustrator.

-Tom

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Regardless of whether you link or embed raster if you don't uncheck "Create PDF compatible file" the image WILL embed. A dialog pops up the first time you create an Illustrator document. Make sure you uncheck that box. With that setting off and linking rather than embedding files, I can manage huge rasters in Illustrator.

-Tom

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This sounds like the likely culprit.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->