Photo

CartoTalk Data Downloads?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Would a member populated GIS data download area be of interest to you?

Would a member populated GIS data download area be of interest to you?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

In attempts to continue to boost the value of CartoTalk I have been thinking about creating an area where users could upload custom GIS datasets, map symbols, raster images, and other resources for members to download and use.

Do you think this would be useful? Would enough people contribute to make it worthwhile? Is there a need for a repository like this?

Vote and post any feedback as well.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,869 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I voted maybe (I'm in a 'useful' mood today :P )

Mainly because I have some technical issues: can the server handle it and do 'we' have enough 'spare bandwidth' at the moment?

But also a more obvious one: in what way would this be better than, say, Geotorrent.org, gisdatadepot.com etc etc?

Would downloading open to everybody or just registered users? What about uploading? What if one of our spammer friends comes back again and uploads something with a virus or trojan in it?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea and I might even contribute something myself, but to me there would be little advantage over hosting it myself.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

araki5

araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:GIS/MAPSERVER/OSSIM/GDAL
  • United States

i wouldn't mind uploading and downloading.

however considering the "bad" guests we've had in the past, i'm a little worried about the virus potential. is there some kind of safeguard(other than your own anti-virus proggie)? would that be good enough?
Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Raster is Faster, but Vector is Corrector.

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

those user names were generally suspicious..

i would say the "virus" issue could be easily solved by simply downloading datasets only from users you know. or who have more than 1 post :)

i wouldn't mind uploading and downloading.

however considering the "bad" guests we've had in the past, i'm a little worried about the virus potential. is there some kind of safeguard(other than your own anti-virus proggie)? would that be good enough?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I have implemented some better filtering and safeguards and basically I keep a close eye on all new signups now. But viruses would be a concern. I think we would want to make all uploads subject to moderator approval.

As far as bandwidth and storage space goes, the downloads would be stored in a different location than the site and I have some "storage only" resources.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I would vote yes for map symbols and the like, but can't they just be attachments to messages. For data and imagery, I would vote no, I think we should be a little bit weary to have to strong GIS/RS focus here, but keep the carto-focus. For data, I think it might be too big work to do it "right", which would mean using a proper metadata(base) etc. If we still decide to go that route, maybe a tool like GeoNetwork opensource would be the way to go... ?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I'm not sure another GIS data resource site is necessary. It makes more sense to utilize the hundreds or thousands of websites already offering datasets for download. If Cartotalk users could provide original, one of a kind data-sets, I would feel different about it. Perhaps additional attention could be put into creating a more robust data resource page? The process of creating a GIS data source, complete with Metadata, seems like more trouble than it's worth...

I am in favor (big thumbs up!) of of being able to upload and download Illustrator Symbol libraries, Graphic style libraries, images, and templates. Erin

paul

paul

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Running, telemark skiing, GIS
  • United States

I'm not sure another GIS data resource site is necessary.

I am in favor (big thumbs up!) of of being able to upload and download Illustrator Symbol libraries, Graphic style libraries, images, and templates. Erin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Between the USGS seamless site, the NRCS data gateway, ESRI data, and a few other sources, I'm pretty much set for base data.

What I AM always looking for is better symbologies, color ramps, graphics, etc. Also, it would be cool to be able to post and download cartography-related whitepapers and tutorials.

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

Another approach could be a place to put listings/descriptions of unique data resources available by members, but not the actual data itself. People could contact the member directly. So much of our "data stuff" changes annually so Cartotalk would have outdated resources within a couple years. My personal symbol library is constantly evolving, so if I posted it last year it wouldn't reflect the one I'm using today.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

herm, sounds like a task for a wiki...

(I have an internal wiki for my own use where I put in links and comments about data sources)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->