araki5

araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:GIS/MAPSERVER/OSSIM/GDAL
  • United States

Hi all. Bear with me as I try to explain.

I am trying to find a way to get this type of motif for a map that i want to do for downtown sacramento. the color scheme in this map(which i scanned from a magazine for this particular conference) is something I see quite a lot for "touristy" type of maps. the colors have a "soft" gradient and the symbology is very basic, or easy for people to find their way around. i have a feeling for this type of maps, the colors are done by hand and just copied at the printer.

Considering I'm an ESRI user, this type of functionality is too hard to do, and I know a lot of you guys are big on Illy/manifold.

my point is, what kind of skills/workflow/ and time would it take to accomplish something like this? this is just for my own personal skill and enrichment, because i want to make some really cool looking maps. I love ARCGIS, but it seems like either it's limiting me or i'm not pushing ARCView to the limit. is this only done in Illy/manifold?

thx a lot guys

Attached Files

Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Raster is Faster, but Vector is Corrector.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Randy.

This looks like at least part of it was done by hand with annotations added in digitally.

Just to correct you of a small misconception. Manifold is a GIS and has alot more in common with ESRI's Arcmap than with illustrator and I think both ARCMAP and Manifold would be about as suited for creating this type of style as an inflated inner tube is for ocean faring.

You could certainly use illustrator or corel draw or FH to do this type of bird's eye view map. You could also try something like sketchup.

There was a good video shown during NACIS PCD last year on how to create these types of buildings. Maybe someone has a link to where it is being hosted?

mg

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Yep this was def done by hand - I have wondered about the ability to use a gis to get initial extractions of building heights and building footprints to kickstart these bird's eye views in a 3d package such as Sketchup, 3ds, etc but for a small map like this I don't think it would really be worth it.

Would def be interested in seeing the mentioned video if anyone has it - I could possibly host it for a while if other are interested and someone has a local copy. Living way down here in NZ I miss out on those seminars etc you seem to have in US/Europe.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

araki5

araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:GIS/MAPSERVER/OSSIM/GDAL
  • United States

Martin, thanks for the reply. I kinda figured that a conventional GIS couldn't do this type of stuff.

UnitSev, the footprints are what interests me. i've only messed around with sketchup - not had the time to do anything hard core on it - yet. but it seems that in autocad i COULD make up some footprints in 3d and then just export the linework. maybe to Illy? Once in Illy, I think there would be a lot more choice for how you would shade and color.

i do have 3d analyst at work, and i've used the standard 3d buildings that come with 3d analyst. i'm wondering if instead of using the pre-packaged buildings i could get some footprints and do some extruding and then add the wall/facade colors/textures.

for the gradients, i think that might be a little tougher. i've emailed a partner of ours in LA that did a similar color scheme for one of our projects. he basicallys said he colored in the colors for the Land Uses and scanned at a high res. i guess i'm going to have to experiment with different pens/pencils and do a combo of digital and old school hand drafting on Illy.

thx a lot
Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Raster is Faster, but Vector is Corrector.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->