4 replies to this topic

cmdrico7812

cmdrico7812

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

I am trying to use some tools in the Toolbox of ArcMap to do some very simple geoprocessing (dissolving and clipping). However, when I double-click each tool to use it, the program locks (not the computer, just ArcMap) and the input boxes in the tools don't show up. The rest of the window for the tool is there but not the majority of the input boxes. Any help?

Thanks,

Eric

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Interesting... what is your install situation? Work or home computer? Running which OS? Did you install the software yourself? Is this an upgrade, a year-old installation, etc.?

One guess off the top of my head would be an XP security issue. Do you log in as an administrator? Was the software installed under an administrator account?

On my ArcGIS 9.1 installation, my help files won't load from the program :)

P.S. Can you tell I've worked helpdesk for the past 5 years?

cmdrico7812

cmdrico7812

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

I'm on a work computer, running Windows XP Pro, did not install the software myself (I just took over for someone at a consulting firm so I don't know the history of their software issues), it is version 9.1 so I think it was an upgrade (but not upgraded from 8.3). I don't log on as an administrator, not sure if I can. Thanks!

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • United States

It will be hard to replicate your issue, one thing I always advise people to do is:

1. Close all applications
2. Re-start your computer
3. Log in, wait for "startup" programs to load, and then proceed to open the application in question
4. Attempt to do your task again

If that doesn't solve the problem, do you have internal IT staff? Is this the first time you are using the ArcGIS software on this computer?

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • United States

Also, find out if you have access to the original installation discs or if they are somewhere on the network. Being such a strange issue, a clean uninstall/re-install might take less time than trying to figure out how the program got to its current state.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->