• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • New Zealand

Hi all - first post in the map gallery and would be keen on any feedback. The map is a general piece of 'propaganda' about how my company have most of our country covered with high res orthophotography and that we have already contracted to capture what we don't have.

This map will be going out with a letter to NZ's MP's and is a company promotional piece as well as a summary of what the letter is actually about.

Have also included examples of what is meant by 'high res' as m/px doesn't mean much to the average politician.

Cheers,

Sam.

Attached Files

S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Sam,

This is a nice map the line weights and colors all indicate a very good eye for balance and composition, one of my concern is that the main information content of the map, (which is legible on the map), is not made very clear by the use of only colored text to help differentiate the two classes rather than less subtle legend elements. The colors you have chosen are very similar on screen, and do not have a lot of contrast against the white background as text so it makes it even harder to read those labels.

Since as you said your audience of layperson needs to have things spelled out to them, I would make it less subtle.

I would consider tweaking the colors a bit to make the two classes stand apart more and using classic legend blocks with black labels in the lower right. It doesnt have to be large and ugly with a border around it, you could just float two small blocks with labels.

Since I am looking at this on screen it may be misleading and more legible in print, hard to tell...

My second concern is the language used. 75% complete implies (to me at least) that in the darker olive shaded areas only 75% has been completed and that 25% completed has been completed in the lighter colors. Again, make your message clearer. Label your legend boxes as "completed" and "contracted" to avoid confusion.

mg

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

I wouldn't change anything when it comes to colors. The map looks nice, clean and easy to read. The only thing I would do is to add a legend showing the colors with the white color for urban areas.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I agree with Martin, the colors in the map are too subtle... It took me a while to figure it out and to realize you had used the text as a legend. Add a bit more contrast to the colors and make a real legend. The 75/25% breakdown is best explained in a little text paragraph.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

I also think the difference between the two greens is too subtle. It is easier to tell them apart on the map, but in the legend (which also took me a minute to figure out) they are difficult to differentiate. For the layperson, this could be confusing. The map is beautiful, and the coverage of aerials is quite impressive also!

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • New Zealand

Thanks all for the feedback, very encouraging.

Funny a few of you mentioned the adding traditional legend boxes for the coverage as this was what the General Manager also asked for boxes to be added which I was against, didn't think it was necessary?guess I was wrong.

To make these boxes I took a lower case i in the same font as the legend text and made curves and then deleted the dot and stretched the width. This meant the box was created with the same x-height as the font, means the boxes are different sizes but they fit with the text nicely I think?any objections?

As far as differentiating the coverage's more, as the map is trying to show how 'good' we are I don't think we want to visually emphasis the large area we don't yet have?personally I think subtle is good in this context. Also I think on the printed copy they are quite obvious, esp. now I've added the boxes. To the right to keep the %ages in line but if I remove these I think I will move the boxes to the left.

And I def see what you mean about the wording of the legend now - I don't think the percentages are even needed for the legend, think I will play with another text box like an advert saying how Terralink has 75% of the country covered and the remaining 25% under contract.

Does anyone else think the map really needs the urban areas shown in a legend? Personally I don't think it's necessary (but I didn't think legend boxes were either) as they are all major towns that every politician (intended audience) and most NZers would of heard of. Also even if not heard of I would think they were quite obvious even to the lay-person as being towns?

Thanks again, and now onto to the wording.

Attached Files

S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Does anyone else think the map really needs the urban areas shown in a legend? Personally I don't think it's necessary (but I didn't think legend boxes were either) as they are all major  towns that every politician (intended audience) and most NZers would of heard of.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont this is necessary, it is obvious they are towns. Keep it simple.

mg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->