81 replies to this topic

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

It was really fun to see who had visited the cache, and what other cachers look like! (suprising with the span of ages and people that do geocaching!)

A weird hobby where you don't meet the others very much...

There are quite a few "camera" caches like that here in Ontario.

It IS strange! I always expect to see someone else out with their GPS trying to track down the same cache as me, but never do.

I suppose it's not a very social hobby!
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Without no doubt I love baseball, too bad Toronto doesn't get rid of Richardo.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

It was really fun to see who had visited the cache, and what other cachers look like! (suprising with the span of ages and people that do geocaching!)

A weird hobby where you don't meet the others very much...

There are quite a few "camera" caches like that here in Ontario.

It IS strange! I always expect to see someone else out with their GPS trying to track down the same cache as me, but never do.

I suppose it's not a very social hobby!

Greg, do you have a website of these camera caches or caches in general for Ontario? I'm looking into buying a portable GPS for hiking, and it would be cool to find these caches on my hikes.
Also, I just picked up a Canon 10-22 as well, i LOVE it. such a fun lens to use.

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

30d with Canon's 10-22USM and an L series portrait lens

Also, I just picked up a Canon 10-22 as well, i LOVE it. such a fun lens to use.

Add a third CartoTalker with that lens since my last post in here—picked up mint as second hand unit about half the retail price—the ironic thing is the friend I used to borrow this lens of just had hers fall apart and may be an expensive fix I suspect. Well guess she built up some lens karma with all the times I borrowed it so now a chance to return the favour.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

I just picked up a Canon 10-22 as well, i LOVE it. such a fun lens to use.

It is a fun lens! I find the distortion to be a bit cumbersome at times, but the "lens correction" filter in photoshop does a great job of warping the distortion back to reality.

Greg, do you have a website of these camera caches or caches in general for Ontario? I'm looking into buying a portable GPS for hiking, and it would be cool to find these caches on my hikes.

I use geocaching.com. ( Its a fairly standard venue for caches ) You can enter your postal code, and it will bring up a google map of the caches around you. then you can just click the "send to GPS" button (if you have a Garmin) and you'll be on your way!

I don't think there is a specific index for camera caches, but it is usually listed in the description, so you could probably just do a search.

If you want to look me up, my geocaching.com username is "killerwhaletank"
I have found 98 caches so far :D
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Add a third CartoTalker with that lens since my last post in here—picked up mint as second hand unit about half the retail price—the ironic thing is the friend I used to borrow this lens of just had hers fall apart and may be an expensive fix I suspect. Well guess she built up some lens karma with all the times I borrowed it so now a chance to return the favour.

Make that 3.5, it's on my wishlist :) Then again, so is the new 50D (or a 40D, I have a hunch they'll drop in price and since the few differences between them are not things I'm terribly worried about...)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

sean

sean

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:climbing, biking, and tinkering.
  • United States
Traveling, as much as possible! Lots of days hiking with my wife, son and dog. I have climbed all over for the last 20 years, but parenting has slowed my opportunities for getting out to the cliffs lately. I get a kick out of being an amateur bicycle mechanic as I love riding bikes. My shed is pretty geeked out with a pegboard wall of tools. Climbing and biking are great themes for exploring maps.

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • United States

I'm way into digital infrared photography. No DSLR for me yet (i've got my eyes on the new Nikon D90 :insert drooling emoticon here:) but I'm having a blast with my old Nikon 995 since i cracked it open and replaced the internal filter. (shameless plug). People think I'm nuts when I start gushing about how cool shooting IR is, so I'll just stop right there! :P

On the near horizon, I see letterpress printing becoming a huge time and money sink for me too. I can't seem to steer clear of letterpress websites, manuals, and shops lately. I fear its only a matter of time before I plunk down a bit of cash (and sacrifice a good chunk of my living-space) to an old press and a box of woodcut type. I've got some ideas for some cartographic exercises in letterpress that I'm itching to play with, it literally keeps me up at night thinking through the project!

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

Soocom1

Soocom1

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Drafting, with experiance in combining in Geodatabases, map design general spatial refrance. Hunting, fishing, photography and riding the Super Glide to rallies.
  • United States

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Need i say more??? :D
Architects design things,
Engineers build things,
and Cartographers tell them where to go.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Giving this thread a little nudge... I've recently started uploading a lot of my older photos to Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hans905/. Any other Cartotalkers on Flickr by any chance?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

p-dub

p-dub

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • No Country Selected

Giving this thread a little nudge... I've recently started uploading a lot of my older photos to Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hans905/. Any other Cartotalkers on Flickr by any chance?

Great photos Hans! My "hobby" is rock climbing and you have visited some of my favorite areas: J-Tree and Zion. I learned to climb at Garden of the Gods, the climber pictured is on the route "Potholes" and for some extra fun one jumps from red tower to white after completing the climb.

drew

drew

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Canada

Yes, I'm on flickr. It's become an addiction. http://www.flickr.co...drew_makepeace/

Nicholas_C

Nicholas_C

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Ok I'll bite - in order of least to most sedentary. Pretty much all of the so called "extreme/gravity" sports - snowboarding, mountaineering/climbing, rafting, kayaking, mt. biking. Been getting a little more into road biking these days as well. Also photography - was a film purist for a while. Finally picked up a a Canon G9 a couple years back and am taking much more digital and saving lots of mone. DSLR is the next step. Watching basketball - mostly NBA - is a real addiction of mine. And reading.

Lots of geochachers on here. Haven't really gotten into it but might someday. A few years back I guided one of the "top" geocachers up mt. shasta so she could place a geocache on the summit. Anyone here visited that cache?

Compass

Compass

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Canada

Interesting...many CartoTalkers here do have similar hobbies,esp photography. I tend to like photo-works with scenery or old architectures features too. But I don't carry around with a camera so obviously I'm no-where an advanced photographer. I could still capture some nice views once in a while (- with my simple camera -).

Other than NG wallpapers; I also recommend this
http://photoclub.canadiangeographic.ca
to look at the professionals' work.

Q: What exactly is "geocaching"? (Is it something like "scavenger hunt" with a manual compass or GPS?)

jrat

jrat

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • United States

I have many small hobbies - canoeing, snowboarding, camping. My main activity outside of work is building sets for theater. I work with a couple of local theaters helping design lighting and scenery for their shows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->