• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

C.Mugnier

C.Mugnier

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

I am currently an Expert in Conventional Bullseye Pistol competition, working on a Master's classification. (I'm about 1/3 the way to a consistent 95%+ with my scores.) With one hand in your pocket, you stand on your hind legs and fire at 25 yds and 50 yds with .22LR and .45 ACP pistols. 270 rounds per match takes about 5 hours' of shooting. It's not violent, it's just punching holes in paper from afar.

Photography is OK, but being a practicing Forensic Photogrammetrist as well as a Cartographer/Geodesist - it's too much like real work. However, I do make exceptions for grandkids and good-looking women.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I guess I'll add to this thread as well...

My primary hobbie since childhood has been playing a musical instrument. I started with the violin when I was 7 years old and have since picked up the guitar, accordian and bass. At this point I consider myself a solid amateur at all the above :) Beyond music I'm an avid hiker of the desert SW (primarly Utah and Western Co). When you grow up in rural Utah...getting outside with nothing more than a couple gallons of water and a light lunch is the best thing going...! I also like to read and drink coffee....some of favorite authors include Mark Twain, Edward Abbey, Herman Melville, Carson McCullers.

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Well, i knew this hobby would be getting more serious for me. I just picked up a new lens: Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS

Posted Image

takes very high quality pictures... i like it alot!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Mike,

That's the problem with photography, once you're hooked, you keep spending. I'm on the lookout for a laptop/camera bag for my upcoming trips in September and October, the spare battery and remotes that I ordered should be coming in today and I'm also looking for some filters...

But that looks like a very nice lens, I've heard a lot of good stories about it. I hope you enjoy it.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Hmmm...I guess there's no need to bring my little Olympus with me to NACIS since you'll all have your high end cameras with you.
Rick Dey

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I haven't said anything here, so I guess it is my turn. Currently I kind of feel that I don't have much time for anything else than work though (but I love work!).

Non-map hobbies:
* Photography, but nothing too fancy, don't have any big equipment or anything
* Outdoors - hiking, camping, kayaking (are not doing enough of any of these...)
* Some nerdy stuff... some programming and web stuff
* Comics (and a lot of other reading)
* Playing games - I play a few games online at ItsYourTurn.com and YourTurnMyTurn.com, like go-moku, backgammon, chess variants and others. We always played games when I grew up, like card games, board games, later role-playing games and computer games. I haven't played RPGs since high-school, and I try to stay away from getting to into computer games today, since I know they can easily eat up all your (non-existant) time...
* Music - I used to play the bass in a band, but nowadays I am mostly listening to music...

Currently I also spending some free time trying to suck up more on learning Illustrator.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

melon_mapper

melon_mapper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts-I am a 3rd degree Black Belt and run my own program through the local park and rec department<br>NASCAR<br>Footbal (Badgers and Packers)<br>My kids and my family<br>I was just intorduced to geocaching<br>
  • United States
My outside hobbies include spending time with my family, watching football and NASCAR racing and Teaching and practicing martial arts. I currently run a martial arts program for my local park and rec department. We have ggrown to over 50 students in 2.5 years.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

All right - good topic - nice to learn about each other albiet remotely.

My passions include wilderness camping, wildlife conservation, tennis, and writing.
I seem to dabble in abour 10 other hobbies sporatically, which I am not advanced in, but they give me pleasure.

When I am doing any of my other hobbies, my mind eventually turns to geography, so I am greatful to be able to do this to support myself and my family.

Since I am moving to Italy next week, I might find another hobby there as well (maybe art history!)

Chris

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

to add to my post, if anyone wants to play a game of go-moku, backgammon, anti-chess, streetsoccer or other game on-line with me, just send me a private message. Those site I use are free and you can trust them, and you can make a move when it suits you (you don't play online).
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

anatolij

anatolij

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:mountain bike, aviation, airshows, 3D graphics, Flight Simulator developement, web-programming
  • Czech Republic

mountain bike, (military) aviation, visiting airshows and on PC it's 3D graphics, Flight Simulator's scenery developement, webdesign, writing articles about some russian airborn weapons. Because of 3D and FS I'm interested in cartography (aerial imagery and DEM)
http://mzak.webzdarma.cz - jet engines, airshows, FS sceneries, Lock On tutorial, 3D Mark results

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

I guess most of my spare time is split between walking the dog and cycling! Here's a picture of the dog, Dewey, a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier...

Posted Image

and me on my bike...

Posted Image

Greg

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Netherlands

Since I am moving to Italy next week, I might find another hobby there as well (maybe art history!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Big step! Good luck with that. Whereabouts in Italy will you be?
Red Geographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

My wife is from there, so we are moving there to be closer to her large family - central east on the Adriatic Sea (La Marche region)!

Attached Files

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

It's Friday. I thought I'd update my hobbies thread.

I got a new Canon 40D last fall. I love it. The controls are much more intuitive than my Rebel XT. Also, there are more features to use that help improve shooting in full manual mode. The lens I picked up last July. It's very sharp and has very faithful color reproduction and great saturation.

Also, I've started to take up hiking! I've always liked it, but I went out and got some hiking shoes, a camelbak (for water), and bought a book on Southern California trails. Wow, i didn't realize SoCal had so many. It's been fun getting out to hike AND take pictures. :)

Posted Image
40D and 70-200 2.8L IS

Posted Image
Santa Rosa Plateau vernal pools (Murrieta, CA)

Posted Image
Strange building at the peak of Morton Ridge Trail (Mentone, CA)

happy Friday!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Netherlands

Mike,

Yowza! That's a pretty nice set. Congratulations! I'm still using my 350D, but have been picking up some new lenses over the last year. Absolute winner is the Canon 70-300 IS USM. Not a white L model like yours, but very good quality compared to my previous lens in that range.

Attached File  vancouver_bw_06.jpg   112.1KB   50 downloads

Funny enough I've been craving wider and wider shots, but also would like to get IS in the range below 70mm. Oh well, have some saving to do :)
Red Geographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->