Photo

ArcGIS 9.0 Union - only two files at a time?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Hey all, I don't get it, maybe it's because I have the ESRI Press 180-day evaluation license, but my ArcMap 9.0 won't let me "union" more than 2 files at a time. And I've already installed XTools and gone past my 30 day trial, and they charge $150 per license!

Isn't there a better way to merge more than two files at a time? I have 95 counties in Virginia that I am trying to get into one file.. and believe me, I've already tried to find a single shapefile containing all counties. Either way though, I would like to know the solution to this merge/union issue.

Geographic Techniques

Geographic Techniques

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • United States

Try using the "Append" tool under Data Managemnt Tools\General. This will allow multiple features to be added to a single existing feature class.

Doug
Douglas Norgord, Geographic Techniques
www.geotechmap.com

merft

merft

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • United States

Hey all, I don't get it, maybe it's because I have the ESRI Press 180-day evaluation license, but my ArcMap 9.0 won't let me "union" more than 2 files at a time. And I've already installed XTools and gone past my 30 day trial, and they charge $150 per license!

Isn't there a better way to merge more than two files at a time? I have 95 counties in Virginia that I am trying to get into one file.. and believe me, I've already tried to find a single shapefile containing all counties. Either way though, I would like to know the solution to this merge/union issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The version of ArcGIS determines the number of layers you can union at one time. With an ArcView version of ArcGIS you can only union 2 layers. With ArcEditor, I think it is 5 layers, and ArcInfo version is unlimited.

Try Merge as suggested, but XTools or ETGeowizards are far cheaper alternatives to ArcInfo. $150 or $15,000? :-)

-Tom

Themarko

Themarko

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, sculpture, art, music, hiking.
  • United States
In the ESRI data that should have came with your install discs there's a coverage of counties for the whole US, maybe just extracting Virginia would work. I found it in :\ESRI_2005\1_Vector\usa\census\counties.sdc (I know it seems obvious but I also know from LONG experience and many mistakes of my own that the obvious sometimes gets overlooked.) ;)

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Thanks Doug, that did the trick!

Tom, point well taken. Do you have a preference for XTools or ETGeo? Or do they have enough different functions to warrant using both?

Themarko, thanks also... Actually I did find the per-state files here http://www.census.go...cob/co2000.html ... it kills me that the right *order* of keywords also matters in Google. Searching for "virginia county shapefile" yields too many state sites without the shapefile I'm looking for, while "county shapefiles" yields exactly what I want!

In the ESRI data that should have came with your install discs there's a coverage of counties for the whole US, maybe just extracting Virginia would work. I found it in :\ESRI_2005\1_Vector\usa\census\counties.sdc (I know it seems obvious but I also know from LONG experience and many mistakes of my own that the obvious sometimes gets overlooked.) ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

Edit Tools is more powerful and does not load as an extension which can avoid some problems I've seen where sometimes MXDs won't open as a result of the x-tools extension being installed (or not installed).

mg

merft

merft

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • United States

Tom, point well taken. Do you have a preference for XTools or ETGeo? Or do they have enough different functions to warrant using both?

I would probably lean towards ETGeoTools/Wizards. They offer both an interface option to the tools and an integration into ArcToolbox. You can find a demo version at Ianko's GIS. The one item with this extension that annoys me is that all files loaded HAVE to be in the same projection.

-Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->