Frank B.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Maps of course!
  • Germany

Hi,

there's an upcoming hiking event in my region. The event features different routes with different lengths, where the longest distance is 42km, hence the event is called hiking marathon. I'm participating, and I have opted for the longest distance. Of course I couldn't resist to make a map for the event showing the longest route and the entry points for the shorter ones. The map features distance markers, rescue points, an elevation profile, some detail maps and some points of interest. I struggled a little bit with the hillshade, so instead of fiddling endlessly, I just added the elevation contours. Well I hope you like it! If the screenshot isn't good enough, you can download a PDF from here: https://www.frankbro...rathon-2017.pdf

​Frank

Attached Thumbnails

• 2017-06-07.png

david17tym

david17tym

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi Frank,

Nice work, forgive my ignorance of the area, but can I ask where the Saar waypoint on the elevation profile is on the map? did you intend Mettlach?

Plus the trail gets a bit confusing toward the end around Perl, maybe separate the dots a little more?

Dave

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I do know the area, a bit anyway, and am wondering if adding some shaded relief would make it more visually appealing. That bend in the Saar at Cloef (the Saarschleife) is rather dramatic:

4917117736_e1a0efe477_b.jpg

Saarschleife by hans905, on Flickr

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Frank B.

Frank B.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Germany

Thanks for all your replies. I thought, I had alerst turned on for this post, but apparently I received nothing and I got distracted with other things and no reminders for answers incoming :D 

Dave, you're of course right, if you don't know the area, you can't have a clue with the Saar waypoint from the profile and put it on the right place on the map. But you guessed right, I should have called it Mettlach instead of Saar, which is the river which passes through Mettlach.

The last part of the trail (Perl area) is indeed difficult to read, even on the official map of the trail. But it is a very windy trail there with lots of changes in direction and parts which are quite close to each other. I'll have to find a way to separate this better, although at the moment I am not sure how to do that. Smaller dots could help and maybe a helper line between the closer parts of the trail to highlight which part goes where.

Hans, I tried a shaded relief at first, but my attempts where not satisfying. The shaded relief made everything too grey and by adding the contours on top I had the feeling the map got too crowded with information and so I decided to take only the elevation contours since they were more important to me. I still need a good setup for hillshade creation, but it's on my list. My problem is not the creation itself, multidirectional, and even coloured hillshade (Imhof influenced) is possible, but I need to find a way to keep only those parts of the hillshade which are important, like eliminating those flat parts of the hillshade.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

What software are you using for the shaded relief now? I've found that some post-processing in Photoshop can make a big difference in the final look of a shaded relief so would encourage you to dive deeper into that.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Frank B.

Frank B.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Germany

I am using a combination of QGIS and imagemagick. I use QGIS to create the hillshade varations like hillshade with different azimuths and expositions oder slope maps. Then I use imagemagick to combine the variations together.

But sometimes I just create my hillshade in QGIS and use on of the blending modes (multiply, darken etc.) to overlay the hillshade on top of my data. Maybe I should have a closer look at post processing in a graphics program. I would probably use GIMP for that though ... there's a somewhat promising tutorial on gis.stackexcange but I fail to recreate that atm.

tangnar

tangnar

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Rivers, Urban Design, Geomorphology, Bicycling, Outdoors
  • United States

You may have tried this already, but I have found luck in QGIS with adjusting the color ramp to a white to gray, instead of white to black. Combinations of brightness, contrast, and transparency also help. Here is a [very] quick example making changes to those settings. 

Original:

original.JPG

New:

adjusted.JPG

david17tym

david17tym

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi again Frank,

Have you considered an inset map of just the Perl area, you have some dead space in the top left corner to play with and the change in scale might make all the difference...

Could I also suggest, if I understand you correctly, that you put the hillshade under your other layers, the blacks shouldn't then muddy your other colours.

Dave

Frank B.

Frank B.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Germany

I did play a bit with some hillshade options. I created a hillshade with GDAL using the following command 

gdaldem hillshade -combined -compute_edges infile outfile.tif

I added the hillshade to the map and used the multiply blending mode. The result is, for a quick test, already quite nice, although I think the DEM is a bit too detailed. Anyway, here's a screenshot from the map with and without contour lines.

Attached Thumbnails

• hillshade_no_contours.PNG
  • hillshade_contours_smaller.png

• Kate Leroux likes this

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I think it look really clean without the contour lines and the resolution of the hillshade works well. Nice job!

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Frank B.

Frank B.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Germany

Thank you for your compliment  :)  Although I agree that the map without contours looks cleaner than the one with, I do think that having contours on a hiking map is essential. I should play a bit with the isoline distance. It's 10 meters at the moment, maybe I should up it to 20, so there are less lines on the map. But 10m isolines is quite common for a approx. 1:50.000 scale map for official topographic maps.

tangnar

tangnar

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Rivers, Urban Design, Geomorphology, Bicycling, Outdoors
  • United States

Looks nice! it does make the dramatic relief in the area Hans mentioned really stand out. 

Frank B.

Frank B.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Germany

Yes, it's definitely better with the hillshade turned on. I hope to find some time during the weekend, I will then tackle the trail in the Perl area, probably with a inset map. I'll keep you updated  :) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hiking, marathon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->