14 replies to this topic

DogwoodGeo

DogwoodGeo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

This is a basemap I have been working on.  It will be used on a web app that is primarily used by my work's field personal (I work for a wastewater utility). There is a lot of information/data in this web app so I want the basemap to be detailed yet stay in the background. Features in the basemap that are most important are street names, building addresses, building names, park names, etc.

Map is created in ArcMap 10.3.1.

These will be a part of a tile cache.  I have to use a specific level of detail for the cache to match a Hi-Res orthoimagery cache on another organizations server (a quirk of  Web AppBuilder Dev Edition, I think, which was used to create the app).

I'm not too happy with the interstates at smaller scales.

Also, I got the idea for the color pallet from member Andy Woodruff.   I spent a lot of time looking examples from other cartographers to get ideas before starting.  I liked what he did on his MAPC Basemap. Let me know if I went too far and I will change it.

Links to screen captures at the differing levels of detail are below. 

http://maps.lrwu.com...ages/150000.png

http://maps.lrwu.com...mages/50000.png

http://maps.lrwu.com...mages/24000.png

http://maps.lrwu.com...mages/12000.png

http://maps.lrwu.com...Images/6000.png

http://maps.lrwu.com...Images/3600.png

http://maps.lrwu.com...Images/2400.png

http://maps.lrwu.com...Images/1200.png

http://maps.lrwu.com...pImages/600.png

http://maps.lrwu.com...with_sewers.png

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Looks very nice and functional, great work!

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Looks very nice indeed!

One thing I struggled with when making a basemap (or basically anytime where I'm designing a map purely by visualisation rules, no manual tweaking), is orphaned roads and phantom exits. What I mean is isolated stretches of high priority roads which appear unconnected to the rest of the road network because the lower priority roads are not shown (you don't seem to have any) or highway on- and offramps that don't connect to anything, like on the 50000 scale image (first exit from the left on I-630)

I don't have a solution for this other than making sure your source data is correct and/or manually editing the trouble spot.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Luca

Luca

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Switzerland

Nice! Try to make the interstate (at smaller scale) less heavy by decreasing the width of the line and also of the border. You may also try to use a brighter gray for the border! :)

Mappuls AG | www.mappuls.ch
8°17'50"East / 47°3'2"North

Kate Leroux

Kate Leroux

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • United States

I like the overall look and feel a lot, and the color palette is very nice for a basemap. Good work! My primary responsibility right now is also a city basemap, so I've been thinking about this type of map a lot. It's nice to stare at someone else's for a change! I have a few minor comments/suggestions: 

• I agree with Luca that the casing on the interstate should be narrower and much lighter. 
  • I notice that you use two different approaches to fitting road labels: in some places the text size is shrunk, and in others there's a line wrap. It would be better to be consistent. My personal preference is to never have the names of roads wrap to a new line, but I don't think that's a hard and fast rule.
  • You might want to try using a halo instead of a shadow for some of your labels where contrast is not as high, especially the park labels. 
  • I'd suggest lightening the dotted lines for trails - at the moment they jump to the foreground because they're so dark. 
  • US 70 is the only road I see that is symbolized in grey instead of white. A viewer could confuse it with the railroad. Instead, you could symbolize it like the interstate, but thinner, and it would fit with the road system better. (An exception is that at your smallest scale, I think grey is good for the major roadways.)
  • Why are the line symbols different for state highways versus US highways? I'm curious about your choice here, because I opted to make them the same on my basemap but I'm not sure what's best. 
  • To follow up on what Hans said about ramps, do your data allow you to distinguish ramps from freeway mainlines? If so, you could symbolize ramps as regular roads, which might reduce the clutter. And at smaller scales (maybe 150000), you can simply stop drawing ramps. 
  • Overall I love the color palette, but the green of the smaller parks (sports fields?) within the parks jumps out as somehow different from the others. It looks more saturated/rich or something like that. I'd experiment with other options for that color. 

Thanks for sharing your work! 

DogwoodGeo

DogwoodGeo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Thanks for all your comments (specially Kate).  I have been working on this furiously since Thursday. I'll have some screen captures of the revisions in the next few days. I want to have it finished and tiles generated for a talk I'm giving in 10 days.

DogwoodGeo

DogwoodGeo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Thanks again for all the comments.  Links to the new example images at the same level of detail and extent are below.

Some of the changes I made:

Color Palette- I adjusted the color palette some.  It looks a little more coordinated than before. I was pretty close on most (buildings, parks) but some were a bit off, like the inclusions in the parks and golf courses (fairways, greens)-Kate's suggestion.

Highways - I combined symbols for state and US highways.   I also changed the color.  At smaller scales the gray of the highways looked to similar to the water, particularly when they crossed each other.

Interstates - I changes the casing size and color, and adjusted the sizes based on scale (one for each level of detail) and symbolized the ramps differently at smaller scales.

Bridges and Ramps - They represent what they are in reality (e.g., if a road passes over the interstate then the map represents it as such). Same goes for interstates ramps and interchanges.

Labels - Adjusted some colors for parks and golf courses and added small halos.  I also removed line wrapping for roads.  It can confuse which road is labeled.

Misc - I lightened the trails and railroads.  I did the rail after I generated the images below.

All your comments were correct.  One of the reasons I did this is because others force me to see things that I normally don't see.  At least not for a long time.  When I do notice it I always think, "Why did I do that?"

I plan on generating the tiles this weekend, but it is by no means "finished."  I imagine I will generate new tiles every month or two as I make edits to the data and/or style.  It's much better than the current or previous basemaps.

Thanks again!

DogwoodGeo

DogwoodGeo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

I thought I posted an update on Friday.  Not sure if I forgot to click "post" or if it's just taking a while to get moderator approval?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

It's there now, since you're a fairly new user it might have still been a case of getting moderator approval. We have a system in place where the first 5 posts of new members need special approval, a bit of a drag but we've had some trouble with spammers in the past. You're in the "Validated members" group now so you should be good from now on, sorry for the inconvenience.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Kate Leroux

Kate Leroux

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • United States

DogwoodGeo, it looks great! I'm glad I could help. Where are you giving your talk? I'd be interested to see your slides if you're willing to share, so I can learn from your process. 

Since turnabout is fair play, here's the basemap I maintain: http://seattlecitygi...e5c05fd205905da

I'm in the process of creating a vector tile version so it can be restyled easily. 

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Great job both of you!

Dogwood at larger scales I think more variability in the type (color/style) might be helpful in identifying different types of features easier.

Kate - how did you get you street labels on curved lines look so nice? Did you convert to annotation for all the zoom levels and dial them in by hand?  :o  My Arc-labels (Maplex) get really torqued (sometimes beyond legibility) on curves and yours are sitting properly. ooh - aah - nice!

• Kate Leroux likes this

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

DogwoodGeo

DogwoodGeo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Kate, I'm doing my talk at work to management.  I'm explaining how how important web GIS is in the ArcGIS ecosystem going forward. Utilizing Portal and Esri's off the shelf mobile and web apps for data collection and entry. Mostly bigger picture stuff for non GIS people.  I will send a link to the slides. 

Kate Leroux

Kate Leroux

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • United States

Good luck, DogwoodGeo!

Matthew, my street labels are just Maplex (Street placement) too. I wish I could tell you why they sit so nicely. If you ever move to vector tiles, there's a text-max-angle property where you can set the maximum angle change between adjacent letters (in degrees). 

I have actually been considering converting my labels to anno on this raster basemap for a different reason. There's a tile seam down the middle of downtown that causes neighborhood labels to repeat, no matter how I tweak the Maplex settings. 

DogwoodGeo

DogwoodGeo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Thanks again for everyone's comments.  It was that final step to make it much better.

Kate, I really like your basemap.  I'm going to make a wall map for our inspectors and it gave me some good ideas.  I left the neighborhoods off my basemap for the same reason you are thinking of going to annotation.  I also leave the street labels off at scales larger than 1:3001 and use a feature service after that.  My field crews would bee zoomed all the way in on their mobile device and the street wouldn't be labeled at that extent of the tile. They would have to pan to get the street.  I wonder if vector tiles would take care of this?

Kate Leroux

Kate Leroux

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • United States

Thanks! 

Out-of-the box Esri vector tiles probably wouldn't change that street labeling issue. When Pro creates vector tiles from a project, it takes all the Maplex settings into account and sets an anchor for each label using the same logic as usual. However, one advantage of vector tiles is the ability to modify the style JSON directly. On line features, the symbol-spacing property sets how frequently a label repeats, and it works even if it's not set to repeat in the map project in Pro.  

I'm putting together a presentation myself right now, about the process of creating vector tile layers from Pro, so I'm deep in the weeds with the Mapbox style specification at the moment. 

How is label repetition set up on your basemap, DogwoodGeo? You could set the label repetition for roads to be a certain number of points (in the Maplex settings) so at any zoom they would be repeated on the screen. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: basemap, web app, tiles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->