KimWright

KimWright

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Australia

Hi all,

I'm using Illustrator CS6 on a PC. In the past I've used Gaussian blur to create a blurred smooth transition between two colours (see 1st image) and that worked fine if the shapes are on the same layer and all selected together when blurring. I now have the need to have the different colours on different layers, this results in the whiteish halo effect between the blurs (see 2nd image). I understand what Illustrator is doing when using the Photoshop effects, I'm just wondering if there is an easy workaround to get rid of the whiteish halo. Any thought?

I did try adding a stroke of the same colour to the shapes but then the ordering of the layers becomes important so that you don't lose some of the small areas.

Attached Thumbnails

• Aust-one_layer.jpg
  • Aust-sep-layers.jpg

Kim Wright
MAPgraphics, Brisbane, Australia
www.mapgraphics.com.au

hasecbinusr

hasecbinusr

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • United States

Have you tried one of the white knockout blending modes?

https://helpx.adobe....ding-modes.html

As an aside, you may have better success doing your gaussian blurs in Photoshop and importing the whole thing as a smart object into your Illustrator document.  This will reduce the file size and improve draw time in Illustrator while improving the overall quality of the raster effects.

Schroder

Schroder

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Australia

Isn't it just the two blurs showing the white background (paper) colour through the blurs.

As its only three colours, as an easy fix I would just make a separate polygon for the whole of Australia in the solid Yellwo-ish green colour.

That way the Dark green and Orange blurs would still show through and remove that white halo looking appearance.

But it should still keep and look of the colours blurring in to one another. Think that would work.

KimWright

KimWright

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Australia

Hi Hasecbinusr,

I did try those but didn't achieve what I wanted.

Hi Schroder,

I could do that but the idea of putting the areas on separate layers is in preparation for developing e_versions where they can be turned on and off independently by a user.

Thanks,

Kim Wright
MAPgraphics, Brisbane, Australia
www.mapgraphics.com.au

hasecbinusr

hasecbinusr

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • United States

Kim,

Another option I just thought of is to check your Document Raster Effects Settings.  Go to Effect > Document Raster Effects Settings.... Make sure Background is set to Transparent and not White.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Illustrator, Gaussian blur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->