Bringing it together for the first time

Newbie Jobseeker Freelancer Data Visualization Environmental Justice

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Geonatty

Geonatty

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Data Visualization, Environmental Justice, Social Justice, Popular Education, Science Literacy, Data Journalism, Cooking, Outdoor Recreation, Gardening, Knitting, Perpetual Learning
  • United States

Hi! I recently completed a GIS certificate program and am excited to integrate it with my other education and work experience in biological sciences, community activism, science education and waste reduction. I'm here to learn from those who have experience in GIS and learn along with those who are still gaining it. I didn't grow up breathing digital technology, so I'm still learning some things that seem like inherent knowledge for other GIS practitioners. Regardless, I'm excited about new developments in GIS technology.  Right now I'm looking for that first job that will allow me to put what I know to work and expand on it. Until I get it, I'm still developing my skills, such as learning more about programming languages and open source GIS applications (desktop and web-based). I'd be happy to work on projects which help me build my professional portfolio and expose me to new GIS methods, tools and challenges. If you have any advice for someone that's breaking into GIS work, I'd love to hear it. Thanks, all!

Yvonne 

Bluedot Cartography

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Yvonne, and welcome to Cartotalk!

For starters, if you haven't done so already, feel free to post your resume and/or portfolio here (we have a Job Seekers section for that). The more you get it out there the better it is. I would also recommend trying to capitalize on the combination of GIS with your other work experience, an area where GIS can certainly be an added bonus.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Newbie, Jobseeker, Freelancer, Data Visualization, Environmental Justice

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1)
-->