1 reply to this topic

TJung

TJung

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Germany

Hello!

This year for the third time in a row I will create a monthly calendar, which I will give to friends and family as a Christmas present. In the last two years I have given it to eight to ten people; this time there will be fewer, namely only those who showed interest by asking questions or telling me what their favorite projection of the year was.
I’m kinda afraid the others might be bored. ;-)

This year I mainly wanted to show unusual projections, meaning that they either seem really odd to most viewers, or may look very much like world maps that people are used to (i.e. Winkel Tripel, Robinson, …) but actually are projections that are rarely used in contemporary atlases, wall maps etc.
Moreover, I chose projections that I didn’t use before in the calendars for 2016 and 2017, or if I did use them before, I chose configuration parameters that made them look different.

In the 2016 calendar, I reprojected Natural Earth II with Shaded Relief, Water, and Drainages for all 12 images, in the 2017 calendar, it was Cross Blended Hypso with Shaded Relief, Water, and Drainages.
This year, I used both again, plus the ETOPO1 Global Relief Model. On each of them, I modified the colors.
There’s one projection that I couldn’t generate myself so I downloaded a finished image from the web.

I’ve got no specific question here, so you’re welcome to mention anything that you like or don’t like about that little collection. I’m curious to see if anyone will criticize the little bit about which I'm still a little unsure myself. (What I mean by that, I’ll tell you later.)
Whoever enjoys it, can name the projections used. Some of them ought to be quite easy to guess, others maybe not – and one of them is, admittedly, a bit unfair. ;-)
I know that I wouldn’t have been able to name all of them until I started working on the calendar…

I’m adding thumbnail images here.
The linked images are larger versions (each of them approx. 900 - 1150 px width, file size 200 - 375 KB).

01_jan.png 01_jan.jpg
02_feb.png 02_feb.jpg
03_mar.png 03_mar.jpg
04_april.png 04_april.jpg
05_mar.png 05_mar.jpg
06_jun.png 06_jun.jpg
07_july.png 07_july.jpg
08_aug.png 08_aug.jpg
09_sept.png 09_sept.jpg
10_oct.png 10_oct.jpg
11_nov.png 11_nov.jpg
12_dec.png 12_dec.jpg

Kind regards,
Tobias

Strebe

Strebe

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Map projections. Snobby chocolate. Science in general.
  • United States

I'll refrain from spoiling the puzzle. ;-)

Well done!

— daan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->