Hi all - been a while since I've been active on here but thought I'd post some of the first 'real' carto work I've managed to get onto in a while. With a new head of geospatial on board at my company, we've managed to get the go ahead to carry out a long overdue refresh of our basemap services with the intention to really push these as products in their own right to other clients.
There were a few reasons;
- our initial basemap offerings were;
- a rushed design with too much priority put on opinions from the product managers who had every little spatial, let alone cartographic or design background.we were also very new to the Esri and general web mapping world.
- intended to show off the data in the maps with very limited intention to overlay a users own layers. Over the last 6 years the products these are going into have been more about these as a base to more valuable targeted information
- inline with the new company's corporate brand - colour palette etc.
- a new NZTM projected tile configuration utilising quad tree based tiles that also align with local ortho photography resolutions - 0.125, 0.25, 0.5, 1m etc allowing us to leverage a few features that our previous tiling scheme dropped the ball on as it was not quad-tree based.
- there has been identified a gap in the market for a service offering with a contracted SLA and refresh frequency.
Streetmap CL is the first of these services of the ranks with a GreyDark CL and GreyLite CL to follow shortly behind to boost user laters even more.
We have a bunch of improvements already planned for future releases - most important being adding bridges to getter better road/rail representation and fine tuning some labelling rules although we do have to balance that with performance.
If you want to see more you can flick through all the zoom levels at https://www.flickr.c...51312/lightbox/
Interested to hear everyone's thoughts - esp. any constructive criticism and any questions you might have.