Bryan Krouse

Bryan Krouse

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi,

I am interesting in learning how to bin point data into hexagons. I have selected homicides in Chicago for the year 2013. I have added the XY data using ArcGIS, so I have a point shapefile containing 416 homicides.  In doing this project, I have come across several questions I am not sure about. 1) How do I determine the correct size of the hexagon (the map units are in feet)? 2) How do I know if I have a sufficient number of points to use hexagon? 

I am using the following application to create the hexagons.

http://www.arcgis.co...fe240ac54763e57

Thanks in advance.

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I use Jenness Enterprise Repeating Shapes to create my hexagons, because with Esri's technique, you need an Advanced license.

For you first question, it all depends of your data and/or your need. Hexbin aggregates must mean something for your. I have 1 sqkm hexes and 250-500m wide hexes because it makes sense in my study area. Most of my heat maps have to be done with a density/square kilometers so I use my 1 sqkm hexes a lot. 

Your hexes must not be too small to have, at the end only hexes with 1 or 0 points. That would add nothing more than only showing the points...

The best thing to do, is to make test.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ArcGIS, Hexagons, Binning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->