Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Charleston Logo.jpg

Hey Fellow Mappers!

Well, it's that time again to start on another major retail map illustration project. Working off of the success of my Savannah illustrated map series (the first map in 2012 selling over 10,000 copies now), I've decided to embark on the 4th map in my retail line. This one will be the Charleston Historic District Illustrated Map. That is, in Charleston, South Carolina. It is a highly popular tourist destination on the Southeast coast of the United States and a city rich in history and architecture. This city - specifically the historic district – has been on my radar for quite some time now as many of my Savannah map customers suggested I do a map of Charleston, too, as it's just an hour away north of Savannah. Both cities are premier tourist destinations because of their National Historic Landmark Districts and the 18th and 19th-century homes and buildings within. Charleston was founded in 1670. For an artist, it has some of the toughest, most intricate architecture to illustrate. Fortunately, I only illustrate the key landmarks and essential buildings relevant to a visitor. Not every single property in the district. Or else I'd literally go nuts! Plus, I need negative space for text filler.  

Here's my inspiration. A map of Charleston from 1872 in the Library of Congress.

A key factor that drove me to choose Charleston was whether there was already stiff competition in the retail marketplace, specifically in 3D birds-eye-view panoramic maps. If there was a superior map product out there, then why even do it? I'd just be wasting my time and Return On Investment (ROI) would be low. What I found were two map products that I could definitely compete against. I determined I could raise the bar in four major areas: aesthetics, textual content, print quality, and size. 

Charleston Ill crop.jpg

1. The first retail competitor is the Charleston Illustrated Map and it is pretty damned incredible. Over several years, the artists drew every single property in the historic district. It's a 3D axonometric map that they published some 16 years ago. I left a 5-Star Amazon review of this map HERE where you can also see pictures of it. Bought one back in April, 2016 as a reference tool. Problem is, for a tourist, it is huge. It unfolds at 36 x 48". Really it is more of an architectural map meant for mounting on a wall in a frame rather than a true tourism map you can fold and unfold and carry around easily. Plus, it is outdated. And sells for almost $20.00.

Charleston Little Map crop.jpg
2. The second competitor is The Best Little Map of Charleston, S.C. This one, well I'm not too keen on other than the content is really useful for tourists. Sorry to say, but the illustration is simply horrible, in my opinion. And it's just my opinion. Some people think it's "cute." For others it's worthy of framing. Thing is, this map has pretty much been dominating retail sales since 1996 proving that looks don't matter sometimes. It is priced right at $7.95, fits in your purse or pocket, has regional maps on it, and also is rich in marking where landmarks are and other valuable textual content. Folds open to a nice size of 17 x 25". The strength of this type of map is there are NO advertisements on it. That gives it value. And that's what gives all three of my current maps value, too. No cheesy, distracting advertisements. These kind of maps are true memento pieces of your visit. They are souvenir items that customers do not throw away, versus the cheap, cartoony advertising-dominate maps that are distributed for FREE by the hundreds of thousands. So, in this regard, this particular map product is very successful. Here's their Amazon LINK.  

And so, being a little light in my commissioned work this summer, I decided to bite the bullet and officially start. The layout and look would adhere to my Karpovage Creative brand. Using my Savannah map as a Photoshop template made it easy to get things in place right away. I started with a comfortable, 3D perspective, oblique angle first, then I rendered the logotype, added all the street labels, stole some boats from my Savannah map, and started hitting the buildings. Just today I finished the shoreline in the foreground. For reference, I rely on Internet photos and especially Google Earth's 3D view where I can zoom in on a section and almost match the same angle as my map. I visited Charleston only once about 17 years ago. I plan on making another visit maybe this month – a quick 5-hour drive away. All illustration will be done in Photoshop, then exported as a JPEG to InDesign where I add labels and text before exporting as a high-res, print-ready PDF.

Alright. Enough talkin'. Here's the Charleston map on my website where you can zoom in to see the details so far. I make periodic updates if you want to follow the progress over the next year.  

Thanks for giving me this venue to share my work!

Best,
Michael

• Mike Boruta and Kate Leroux like this

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Looking amazing, as always!

I agree with your take on the two competitor maps, #1 is very good and I think it raises the bar for you quite a bit. As for the popularity of #2, I guess it's mainly in the price.

• Michael Karpovage likes this
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • United States

I've made some great progress so far on this map while working between commissioned jobs. I also lucked out and found a production artist out of Detroit who I tutored in my map style to help produce the basic shells of the buildings where I can then go back and add all the detail work. First time I've ever hired anyone to help out in production. Going great. 

Here's an update of where I'm at. A long way to go, but gotta just keep on chippin' away! Go to this link to zoom in on the map: http://www.karpovage...m/charlestonmap

Charleston Historic Side A.jpg

• Kate Leroux likes this

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • United States

Been chipping away at the Charleston illustration while juggling many other projects. Hired my first freelance production artist and trained him in my building rendering style. Working out excellent. Also, hired a freelance travel writer to write up the attractions and factoids which come at a later phase. Here's a visual of where I'm at -- added more buildings and colorized the various important neighborhoods/boroughs. Zoom in to see the detail at the link: http://www.karpovage...m/charlestonmap

Attached Thumbnails

• Charleston Historic Side A small.jpg

• Kate Leroux likes this

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • United States

Another update. Really starting to take shape with the added factoid and icon content now. Lots more buildings added filling up the Historic District nicely. I still need to do landscaping around those larger National Historic Landmark mansions in the South of Broad neighborhood (tip of peninsula). Need more greenery there. Shooting for January 2018 to finish and publish so kind of on a hot production streak these last few months. Lots of folks in Charleston are getting excited about this upcoming map. I'll be entering into a partnership for a freely distributed advertising version of this map while also selling an ad-free retail version simultaneously. It will be a new marketing approach for two different tourism market segments.

If you see anything that would warrant improvements, please do let me know.

Check out the magnification version here on my website: http://www.karpovage...m/charlestonmap

NOTE: A little secret to how I render buildings is revealed at the upper right of the Historic District border. It shows a cluster of buildings. These are placeholders that I sliced from Google Earth in 3D mode in the relative same oblique angle of my illustration. I then draw on top of them, straighten them out, and apply color and detail.

Best,

Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• Charleston Historic.jpg

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com