• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Soocom1

Soocom1

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Drafting, with experiance in combining in Geodatabases, map design general spatial refrance. Hunting, fishing, photography and riding the Super Glide to rallies.
  • United States

Been a long time from when I was on last.

here is a question for those who may know.

Is there or was there any books published on any level from armature to professional that talked about the rules and conventions on constructing Atlas Maps.

specifically County level?

Any input is welcome.

Thanks.

Architects design things,
Engineers build things,
and Cartographers tell them where to go.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

No, such things were extremely rare in the pre-GIS era—and there are very few "rules and conventions" for any kind of mapping.

But folks like me, who've looked at lots of atlases from around the country, would be happy to comment on what we think are the best practices if you have specific questions you're pondering.  I'd say the basics are

• have a bit of overlap (1/4 to 1/2 mile) from one sheet to the next
  • have the map number displayed prominently on the page
  • ensure that municipality names are repeated on every page that includes that town's territory
  • similarly, see that highway shields and watercourse names get repeated as needed
  • have a key map with major roads and towns in an easy-to-consult location  

Personally, I always devoted a fair amount of energy to ensuring that no partial labels were visible—but that's just too time-consuming for most local government projects and too difficult to do with a GIS workflow.

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Justin

Justin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • United States

I spent a long time making street atlases! I worked for a few companies. They all had their own way of doing stuff. It used to be mostly CAD files that were built in a tile format from USGS Quad maps as a base and then expanded on. At Mapsco we used tiled USGS 24,000 Quads in CAD format made up the base and were imported into AutoCAD Map. We used templates for drawing everything in CAD. I dont think there are any really firm rules on how to design a street atlas, especially since its been so long since they were really in the public consciousness.

Right now where I work (County government) we use data driven pages in ArcGIS and a grid file to export each page of a street and cadastral atlas for our employees to use. You can specify an overlap and annotation would ensure repeating labels where you want them. It exports everything to PDF as a single multipage file.

If I were going to make a street atlas that looked good and wanted to keep updated I would probably make the entire base in one file in Illustrator, and then you can split up the base with various artboards and export it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->