• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Sardinie_v1.png

I have just returned from my latest cycling holiday this saturday and thought it'd be nice to make a map of it and use that as an excuse to try a more pictorial style than what I usually produce. So far, with just a few hours of work in it, I'm pretty pleased with how it's going. I've had to make symbols for things I never thought I'd have to make symbols for, such as flamingoes (or, as I said during the trip: "normally when I see pink animals I get worried...")

It's very much a map of my personal memories of the trip, only shared by the others. So for example the puppy refers to the two puppies we found during one lunch break, the wind symbols to the very strong winds that nearly blew us off the mountains and so on.

I am not sure about the rivers to be honest, do they detract from the pictorial style? Do I really need them? Any thoughts on that?

• Justin likes this
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Frank B.

Frank B.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Maps of course!
  • Germany

Nice, I think the waves add significant flavour to  the map, although I believe the one below Oristano shouldn't be there  :) Not sure about the rivers, too. I think, for a bicycle map maybe roads would be more appropriate? But having nothing would leave the landmass part of your map quite empty I think.

Kate Leroux

Kate Leroux

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • United States

Maybe the rivers could be fainter / more subtle so they don't take as much of the visual focus? Frank is right that removing them would result in a lot of emptiness. 

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts
  • Netherlands

Thanks, I'll give it a try with less prominent rivers. And yes, they are on there to sort of break up the vast emptiness that we'd otherwise have. It's that or sea monsters  :rolleyes:

Nice, I think the waves add significant flavour to  the map, although I believe the one below Oristano shouldn't be there  :)

Actually, that's a flamingo, standing in a lagoon  ;)

And just for clarification, I haven't added roads to the map (other than the route we travelled) because it's not my intention to make this a navigable map. Instead, I want it to be a piece of art that one would print and mount on their wall for example. 99% of the maps I do is very geographically correct, I wanted to break away from that for a change.

Red Geographics

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts
  • Netherlands

Updated version

Sardinie_v2.png

Red Geographics

Kate Leroux

Kate Leroux

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • United States

I like how you thickened the route line (while lightening the rivers). That puts the visual emphasis in the right place, I think. 

Looking at it longer, I had another idea. Have you considered generalizing the rivers? It might coordinate more closely with the pictorial style you've chosen and draw the eye even less. 

Frank B.

Frank B.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Maps of course!
  • Germany

Yes, I agree that generalizing the rivers could help. They are quite geographicall correct right now, aren't they, which contradicts with your intention. Maybe you could add forests, with a pattern instead with a fill, that would add some more info and take the focus from the rivers away. Have you considered making the background for the country side not white but slightly yellow like the geology/rocks? Could be a bit more friendly to the eyes ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->