Best Open Source programs to learn

- - - - - Open Source Graphic Design Web Map

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Geonatty

Geonatty

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Data Visualization, Environmental Justice, Social Justice, Popular Education, Science Literacy, Data Journalism, Cooking, Outdoor Recreation, Gardening, Knitting, Perpetual Learning
  • United States

Hi,

I'm a newbie who is still developing their skill set. My training focussed on use of ArcGIS, but I want to become familiar and proficient with a variety of Open Source programs. Specifically, I'd like to become proficient at using open source programs for graphic design, web mapping and desktop mapping. Any opinions about which programs are useful to learn as potential future tools in my professional cartographic endeavors?

Yvonne 

Bluedot Cartography

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

For open source GIS I'd recommend looking into QGIS. Desktop mapping is not something I'd do in that to be honest (or any other GIS for that matter) but a lot of people get very good results by using QGIS to produce a map and then use Inkscape for any final touch-ups.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

tangnar

tangnar

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Rivers, Urban Design, Geomorphology, Bicycling, Outdoors
  • United States

I use the approach Hans mentioned... QGIS and then Inkscape (vector drawing program). Gimp is an open-source image editing software, comparable to Photoshop. 

QGIS is getting better and better for cartography with nice options for symbology, labeling, blend modes, and different layer effects. It is definitely worth playing around with since it's free. Layout and small adjustments are not quite as a practical, so that's where I like to export into inkscape and move things around. 

For web mapping, I prefer Leaflet (for the front-end). There are plugins for QGIS that will export your QGIS document to the html and js files for a web map. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Open Source, Graphic Design, Web Map

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->