• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

CartoCanuck

CartoCanuck

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, geography, design, crafts, knitting, gardening, hiking, canoeing, camping
  • Canada

My course this semester is Surface Modelling and we are learning about Interpolation Methods at the moment with the use of the Spatial Analyst Extension. I've read as much as I can so far about the differences between IDW, Spline, Natural Neighbour and Krig. 

What is the best method for modelling both hilly elevation and flat terrain?  I know it all depends on what I am trying to model, but are the methods used for certain types of data?

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Modelling from what? I think you rarely (nowadays) have point measures to create a DEM from. You are more likely to use a TIN to increase resolution, I think.

What method you use depends more on how to handle outliers and extremes in point measurements, I think.

Those methods you mention, I am thinking they are more for cases when you have e.g. point measures of a continuous parameter (pollution, temperature etc) and you want to create a surface out of those.

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

CartoCanuck

CartoCanuck

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, geography, design, crafts, knitting, gardening, hiking, canoeing, camping
  • Canada

Yes, I agree with you, I haven't read anything about using those methods for different types of elevations - but I still need to find the information for a question in my module.

So, would you say none of them? And if so, what methods, if any could I use to interpolate different elevations?

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I'd probably use a TIN to interpolate elevations

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->