• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • New Zealand

Hi all - been a while since I've been active on here but thought I'd post some of the first 'real' carto work I've managed to get onto in a while. With a new head of geospatial on board at my company, we've managed to get the go ahead to carry out a long overdue refresh of our basemap services with the intention to really push these as products in their own right to other clients.

There were a few reasons;

• our initial basemap offerings were;
    • a rushed design with too much priority put on opinions from the product managers who had every little spatial, let alone cartographic or design background.we were also very new to the Esri and general web mapping world.
    • intended to show off the data in the maps with very limited intention to overlay a users own layers. Over the last 6 years the products these are going into have been more about these as a base to more valuable targeted information 
  • inline with the new company's corporate brand - colour palette etc.
  • a  new NZTM projected tile configuration utilising quad tree based tiles that also align with local ortho photography resolutions - 0.125, 0.25, 0.5, 1m etc allowing us to leverage a few features that our previous tiling scheme dropped the ball on as it was not quad-tree based.
  • there has been identified a gap in the market for a service offering with a contracted SLA and refresh frequency.

Streetmap CL is the first of these services of the ranks with a GreyDark CL and GreyLite CL to follow shortly behind to boost user laters even more.

We have a bunch of improvements already planned for future releases - most important being adding bridges  to getter better road/rail representation and fine tuning some labelling rules although we do have to balance that with performance.

If you want to see more you can flick through all the zoom levels at https://www.flickr.c...51312/lightbox/

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts - esp. any constructive criticism and any questions you might have.

35977062416_a430ba38b2_b.jpg

StreetCL_Wgtn_z14 by Unit Seven, on Flickr

35977029746_90be8fcb53_o.png

StreetCL_Chch_z05 by Unit Seven, on Flickr

• Michael Karpovage likes this
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

It looks very nice to me; I particularly like the hierarchy of colours so that red can represent highways without seeming totally alien from other streets.  Also very nicely done is the subtle change in the gray from urban fill at zoom 08 to zoom 10.  And I'm always fond of clean crisp street map designs that don't rely on casings.

I'm not sure I'd use the same red for hospitals, though, as it makes them jump to the front of any map where they appear.  I notice that violet isn't used for anything, which seems like an unnecessary restriction.

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Outstanding work. I followed the progression of images on Flicker revealing more and more information. Really incredible, right down to building footprints. Very impressive, indeed.

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • New Zealand

Thanks Dennis and Michael,

Great to have some positive feedback from the carto community—input so far has been from data, product or GIS people who are more taken by the initial "prettiness" and sometimes gloss over some of the more nuanced points of cartographic communication. 

Re. the red highways this is an established national convention over here where highways are always marked with red highway shields and/or numbers so to go any other colour you would really need a pretty compelling case. Luckily CoreLogic's main brand colour is a red :) The orange arterials was a new design decision that worked out well although there is one scale where our own highly detailed road centreline that has the arterials in it doesn't align that well with the smaller scale 1:250,000 topo dataset for the other roads - fortunately, I think it is readable enough for the audience and benefit of the generalised topo roads outweighs the misalignment of using the two datasets together.

Arterial_misalignment.png

We are lucky that we are a small enough county to have good publically available 1:500, 1:250k and 1:50k topo datasets that cover the entire country which made getting some of smaller scales looking good - with a monthly update requirement getting it looking that good would have been difficult to get decent generalisations through the scales.

As for casings the previous basemaps I'm replacing was very heavy on these - it's main focus was to highlight the previous companies core datasets and bring them to the forefront - one of which was roads. With our audience now being more interested in their content and/or our insights being overlaid on the map dropping casings was one of the easiest ways to allow those overlay layers/services to compliment and work with the basemap. It also makes for a lighter more modern style I think although it does now need some work on how the bridges/overpasses fit in - easier with casings. Am thinking I'll be adding casing just to these "overs" in the same shade as the base or maybe one tint darker to pop them a little.

That change through the urban fills was a tricky bit to work through from the 1:500,000 topo that had no urban roads in it and the 1:250,000 that does have roads - glad you think it worked in the end as it took a few iterations and revisions of layers and symbology to blend nicely. Thanks!

Building footprints - yeah they are new addition and they won't be everywhere for the time being. Just where the local councils have them captured and will let us use them. That's a job for our acquisitions chap. Having said that we do have another guy who is having some good success with using machine learning to capture these from orthophotography so that could be another source. The biggest problem will be managing the users expectations that that will be tied to what their local councils provide - either building footprints themselves or orthophotography for us to capture off. This gets worse as most other layers (roads, addresses, landuse areas) our own actively maintained, national coverage datasets so that is the expectation most of our clients have.

Red for hospitals - hadn't noticed that but great point. I had gone red with the red cross/medical association but looking back agree they prob do pop too much! Prob too late to change right now but will def review that later - purple/violet really isn't very popular ith people around here (we used to have "dirty purple" education areas with has become a bit of an in house joke) We do have this dark magenta colour so I might try a tint of that.

Blue for education was one other area of compromise - some were worried they looked like lakes but I think the different hue in the blues and with the labelling reinforcing what you are looking at works ok. I also find blue an 'official' hue - prob due to our association with Police which aligns with the "official-ness" of education areas in my mind. Encouraging to see no comments on that yet  :)

Thanks again for the kind word and esp. for pointing out those hospitals Dennis. I'll post a few changes here as the map progresses over time.

Attached Thumbnails

• Arterial_misalignment.png

• Kate Leroux likes this
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->