Frank B.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Maps of course!
  • Germany

Hi,

I've made a new map. My brother did some hiking with a friend in early 2000. The Sarek National Park was their goal, the NP is known to be the last wilderness in Europe.The NP is located in the northern part of Sweden and it's pretty lonely there. Now his friend celebrates a round birthday and my brother wants to make a memorial map from their trip. He tried OpenStreetMap but had no success in exporting a high resolution map with the right dimensions. So he asked me if I could make a map for him.

There's not much to see there, just lots of mountains, the largest ones around 2000m high, some glaciers, rivers, lakes. Pretty rough terrain overall, but that's what the visitors want to experience :D . So I decided to mostly focus on creating a nice looking terrain map, pretty hilllshade and everything. I downloaded what's available on OpenStreetMap, added some more glaciers from NaturalEarthData, and finally downloaded the necessary ASTER GDEM files. SRTM isn't available for that region, the NP is too high in the north for the SRTM mission. To add the little bit extra to the hillshade I decided to try a bit of Imhofs Color shading technique, tinting the sun facing slopes a little bit yellow, the opposite side a bit blue.

I created the hillshade by filling the voids, resampling it to 100m cell size resolution and finally denoising it quite harshly, I used mdenoise for that. Except for the denoising part I only used QGIS. The denoised DEM was the prerequisite for the hillshade, a combined hilllshade + slope. Finally I calculated the aspect map and coloured values between 135 +- 25 degrees blue and the values between 315 +- 25 degrees yellow. The hillshade was created with standard values, azimuth 315, sun height 45. I overlayed the tinted aspect map with high  transparency and voila - I am quite happy with the result. Here are some images, you can download the complete map in PDF format here: https://www.frankbro...ationalpark.pdf ,around 3MB

What do you  think about my "Imhof" effect on the hillshade? Not worth it, not enough or something else? 

Have fun,

Frank

Attached Thumbnails

• sarek_np.jpg
  • sarek_detail.jpg

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

The Imhof effect is very subtle, you could bump that up a bit more. Unfortunately it does look like you have data issues, that lake on the detailed image looks like it's halfway up a mountain (and it's not connected to its outflow channel...). I'd also recommend not to put any transparency on the lakes, the underlying hillshade now shines through and that's a bit of a confusing effect.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Frank B.

Frank B.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Germany

Ah, that should not be a lake, but a glacier, hence the transparency and more icy color. But I admit the difference is, without a legend, probably too difficult to spot.

Edit: I attached a new screenshot, the glaciers should look more like glaciers now, and I amplified the Imhof effect a bit. I also changed the sun slope Color more towards green/yellow in order to reflect the vegetation a bit. Still not sure if this isn't a bit too much emphasize on sun slopes.

Attached Thumbnails

• sarek_np.jpg

razornole

razornole

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Interests:Recreational Cartography
  • United States

Not sure why you can't shift the map to left to make room for the title or right justify it so it is not crossing your boundaries.  Not sure about about Sweden or German, but here in the US National Park is two words.

kru

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

razornole

razornole

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Interests:Recreational Cartography
  • United States

I meant shift the map to the right.

kru

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Frank B.

Frank B.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Germany

I wanted to leave the NP more or less in the center of the map, but I agree that the headline shouldn't mask the boundaries. Concerning "Nationalpark", it's actually one word in german. It's pretty common in german to chain words together and Nationalpark is only two, there's far worse to be read  :D 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hillshade, Imhof, National Park Map

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->