malkaitz

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, bike and walk trips, beekeeping
  • Spain

Hello,

I´m making several 50.000 scale thematic maps with two little data frames 1:250.000 per map. I adjust the main data frame size to the 50k sheet (it´s not just square size) and 50.000 scale. After link the  little data frames to the main frame, the problem it´s to fix the scale to 1:250.000 for these frames. I´m in ArcMap. When I link the frames to the main frame with the option, Extent,  Other data frame, the scale change , and to refix the escale to 250.000 you must break the link. The idea is make a map template to use with data driven page utility. Now, I open the maps and refix the scale by hand.

Is there a way to fix the scale and link the frames?, I didn´t find a solution, maybe it´s simple

Thanks for Cartotalk!

tangnar

tangnar

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Rivers, Urban Design, Geomorphology, Bicycling, Outdoors
  • United States

One possible way would be to adjust the 'Margin' until it gets to the scale that you desire. You can dial it in to your scale by choosing Page Units under the Specify using:.  Might take a little trial and error to get it to your exact scale.

Or maybe you could figure it out mathematically since you know the size of the main data frame on the page, and the scale... you could work out the required margin of the smaller data frames?  Might just be easier to play the ole trial and error game, though. 

malkaitz

malkaitz

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, bike and walk trips, beekeeping
  • Spain

I played with the margin frame, you can adjust the escale to 250.000 but when you change to another  50K sheet, the scale change , a little. Adjusting the frame size, you can not find the exact scale ( even with the mathematically scaling frame values), it is not the same sensibility or accuracy than the margin adjust. I don`t not why, it´s a pity because  whe you change to another  50k sheet the scale not change.

thanks tagnar123

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: data frame, scale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->